Breadcrumb Trail:

Announcements
We can help get the word out about your upcoming event by posting it here. Check out where our USAA Military Affairs team will be this month. Off topic discussions or comments will be moved to the appropriate thread. Product or service issues will be redirected to an appropriate channel. Product reviews should be entered on the appropriate product page.

The appearance of external links on this site is not an official endorsement on behalf of USAA.

Highlighted

A Glimpse of Military Basic Training

A Glimpse of Military Basic Training

[ Edited ]

Briana Hartzell USAA's avatar User  Briana Hartzell USAA Community Manager

Guest blog post by Daisha McDaniel

USAA-Memeber-Community-Zero-Day-PT1.png

This Summer I’ve had the pleasure of joining the USAA team as a MBA intern, and let me tell you, life from the inside is pretty fascinating. Being someone with little military exposure, working with USAA has exposed me to what it means to be and service our military members. I’ve always had an appreciation for our service members, but actually seeing and hearing what they go through has increased my admiration. This past week is the perfect example of how the company provided Military Awareness to those who otherwise wouldn’t have known, through allowing employees to participate in Zero Day PT (ZDPT). I had the honor of doing media coverage for the event.

At the start of 0300, I found myself arising to get ready to report on one of the biggest employee events USAA has to offer. ZDPT, also known as Day 1 of Military Basic Training, has been a company tradition for the past 20 years. It is a unique opportunity for USAA veteran employees to help non-military employees understand what it means to serve. ZDPT is offered to bridge the gap for employees to share an experience that all military members go through, regardless of branch of service, or time served.

This year’s event consisted of 297 trainees and was led by Senior Drill Sergeant First Class Brian Parks and Air Force Major Meghan Anderson. Their goal was to challenge participants physically, mentally, and emotionally. The purpose of this event was to strip individual mindsets and teach others the value of learning the purpose of becoming part of a team. To learn more about this year’s event, please see photo’s below.

USAA-Memeber-Community-Zero-Day-PT2.png

Trainees being greeted by Veteran employees at 0430.

USAA-Memeber-Community-Zero-Day-PT3.png

Veteran employees checking to make sure everyone has the appropriate uniform.

USAA-Memeber-Community-Zero-Day-PT4.png

USAA trainee proudly leading her platoon in fire drills.

USAA-Memeber-Community-Zero-Day-PT5.png

Team performing overhead arm claps as a unit.

USAA-Memeber-Community-Zero-Day-PT7.png

Drill Sergeant leading troops in boot camp training exercises.

USAA-Memeber-Community-Zero-Day-PT8.png

USAA trainees learning the importance of doing everything as a team so they don’t get singled out.

USAA-Memeber-Community-Zero-Day-PT9.png

Trainee getting a haircut, in order to look like the rest of his team.

USAA-Memeber-Community-Zero-Day-PT10.png

Sergeant First Class Parks asking a trainee how he likes his new haircut.

USAA-Memeber-Community-Zero-Day-PT15.png

Sergeant First Class Parks leading push up exercises with a trainee.

USAA-Memeber-Community-Zero-Day-PT11.png

USAA veteran employee encouraging trainees to stay in sync.

USAA-Memeber-Community-Zero-Day-PT12.png

Sergeant First Class Parks showcasing his excitement to be a part of such a wonderful event.

USAA-Memeber-Community-Zero-Day-PT13.png

Air Force Major Anderson explaining the importance of ZDPT in the USAA Community.

USAA-Memeber-Community-Zero-Day-PT14.png

A set of dog tags was given to employees upon completion of the event.

Have something to add to this story? Share your insight below.

Daisha Picture.jpg

About the blogger:

Daisha McDaniel is a USAA member and MBA summer intern with USAA assisting in the Marketing department. She is currently finishing her second year of graduate school at Howard University in Washington D.C. and is scheduled to graduate in May 2018 with her Master’s in Business Administration. For fun, Daisha enjoys spending time with her family and friends, traveling and learning to cook new foods.

Popular Topics
Close Pop-up