Emergency Fund

Emergency Fund

Colleen2's avatarColleen2New Member

I have seen this mentioned in a few of the other discussions, but Dave Ramsey has great advice for budgeting and paying off debt. The first step he recommends is setting up an emergency fund of $1,000. That may seem impossible to some people but really, you can't afford not to have an emergency fund! When you read about some of the creative ways that he suggests to building up that fund, anyone can have cash set aside in a few months, if not less. Don't rely on credit cards or loans. Get educated and make your money work for you! You don't have to be an accountant or even good with math to apply the principles to your life. It's counter-cultural to the way Americans spend today, unfortunately, but it's so worth it to be one step ahead of the game. And as the title suggests (Financial Peace University) having the peace of mind from knowing that you can cover an emergency is just one less thing to worry about as a military spouse.

Re:Emergency Fund

Wendy Poling's avatarWendy PolingOccasional Visitor

Colleen - Great thoughts. Having an emergency fund for the unexpected can be a huge stress reliever!

MARGARET LONGDON's avatarMARGARET LONGDONOccasional Visitor

IAM A ARMY WIFE MY HUSBAND RETIRED IN 2010 AND HE HAS BEEN HAVING A LOT OF PROBLEMS SINCE HE RETURN FROM IRAQ,AND KOSOVA, ALASKA, HE IS MORE DISTANT AND ANGRY ALL THE TIME AND HE IS HAVING MEDICAL PROBLEMS AND WON;T GO TO THE DOCTOR..SO I WENT TO HIS FAMILY FOR HELP TO GET HIM SOME HELP I AM AFRAID FOR ME AND MY FAMILY HE SAID I WAS HIS PROBLUM AND HE WAS TIRED OF THE KIDS AND MY UNCLE.. SO HE LEFT MONDAY I HAVEN.T SEEN HIM SENCE..I FOUND OUT HE DIDN;T PAY THE RENT ON THE HOUSE IT 1100.00 DOLLARS AND THE ELECTRIC BILL THAT IS LATE ALREADY OF405.00 I DON'T HAVE THE MONEY TO PAY THIS I AM DISABLE AND GET NO HELP FOR MYSELF I ONLY GET WHAT HE GIVES ME I AN SO AFRAID FOR ME AND MY FAMILY SO IF THERE IS ANY ONE OUT THERE TO HELP ME THIS MONTH I WILL GET ON MY FEET..SOON I JUST NEED HELP THIS MONTH..I HAD NO IDEA HE WOULD LEAVE ME FOR TRYING TO GET HELP FOR HIM..PLEASE HELP ME SAVE MY HOUSE AND PAY MY ELECTRIC BILL ....MY NMBER IS 573-276-8089 OR 573-281-2166 ITS CHRISTMAS I JST WANT TO HAVE A LITTLE PEACE IN MY LIFE THANK YOU.. HELP ME PLEASE..

BanBerg's avatarBanBergNew Member

I agree with Dave Ramsey's ideas. We have gone through his Financial Peace University through DVDs and in the past year we actually were able to put together an emergency fund and pay off a substantial amount of debt that we never thought we could have. There is so much good information and encouragement to start being smart with finances. That, combined with USAA products have made our life easier over the past year!!!

laumel's avatarlaumelNew Member

I too took Dave Ramsey's advice and was able to settle on a debt for less than I owed. Then I saw on an article on USAA about the biggest dings to your credit. Your credit score takes a big hit when you settle a debt for less than you owe. It's something to consider.

Re: Re:Emergency Fund

Overwhelmedwitcredit's avatarOverwhelmedwitcreditOccasional Visitor

Is there a way you can provide me a link to the article on USAA? I'd like to read it myself.

Also, how big of a ding can it be? I am recentlt divorced, and have over 20K in credit card debt, all accounts have been charged off for at least a year. Plus I have a repossession. My score before the repo was about 425, if I get a settlement, how much more damage could it possibly do?

Re: Re:Emergency Fund

WendyPolingUSAA's avatarWendyPolingUSAACommunity Manager

I was able to find one of our articles on this topic:

'Blunders That Can Ding Your Credit Scores'

https://www.usaa.com/inet/pages/advice-finances-credit-score-hits

This is a good start to getting your questions answered. Thanks.