There is something wonderful when the cool, crisp air of fall arrives. When the leaves start turning and you catch the smell of a wood-burning fireplace, it reminds me of why I love Fall. Some people love the Spring or Summer, but Fall has always been my favorite.
Here is a list of things I love about Fall, and many include fun activities to add to your calendar. Just remember to grab that scarf and gloves to help keep you warm!
10 Things I LOVE about Fall:
- Football Games: Whether you find a local high school, college or professional game, consider attending for the atmosphere and watching the competition. The excitement of the game can also be a great stress reliever. If you are attending a college game, tour the campus, stop by the official college bookstore and check out the swag. When we were stationed in Connecticut, we traveled over to West Point to watch a game and tour the campus. It was a truly unique and memorable experience.
- Decorating: Crafting can be a great way to relax and be creative at the same time. Martha, a friend of mine, designed fall planters featuring the Navy’s core values, Honor, Courage and Commitment painted on the front of the planters and filled them with Fall mums. Pinterest is filled with hundreds of fall decorating ideas. Reserve some time this weekend and tackle a simple, but fun project to bring the fall outdoors inside your home.
- Pumpkins: I love pumpkin pie, it also happens to be my son’s favorite. We also carve pumpkins and usually make a huge mess. If you have small kids and want to cut out the mess, you might consider having them decorate the outside of the pumpkin with stickers and markers. You can also carve craft pumpkins.
- Apple Picking: I grew up with apple trees, so the thought of buying apples was an adjustment when I moved away from home. I still make a point to find a local apple orchard to visit during fall with the family. We have so much fun; apple picking has become a tradition.
- Leaves Turning: I love to grab my camera and capture the change of season. Consider spending an afternoon on a nature walk. Share the photos with your deployed loved one.
- Boots: If I could wear boots in the summer I would. I love most all styles of boots and I can’t wait to dust them off this time of year!
- Picnics: Life gets so busy; some of my best memories are picnics in the park with the fall leaves turning. This year, I’m reviving this old tradition!
- Oktoberfest: Check out your local Oktoberfest. Most base MWR’s plan an Oktoberfest complete with hayrides, German foods and warm apple cider.
- Winter Clothes: Some of my favorites are comfy sweaters, soft scarfs and long sleeved henley shirts. I asked my husband why he loves winter clothes, “You can wear sweaters and not look fat.“ I’d have to agree with that statement.
- Wood-burning Fireplace: There is something awesome about mesquite burning in a fireplace or outdoor fire pit. Someone pass me a marshmallow!
What do you love about Fall?
Real Simple – 50 Fun Fall Activities