Highlighted
longtimemembr
Contributor

First off, try to file a grievance with USAA…go ahead, I'll wait.

This company is very shady. And that is coming from someone who has been with them for over a decade. I almost got hired by them in October of last year for a mid-level position, but they changed their criteria in the middle of my interview process. I tried again recently, was on my third interview, and spent 3 hours on their campus for an entry-level position. I objectively accomplished the tasks in their tests, even faster than expected...was the only veteran with 17 years of service, almost done with my master's, explained to them the history of USAA and what they did in my community (many people I know work there and I also did a study on their company in grad school)...told them that I just bought a house about a mile away from their campus, mentioned that everything that I do is through them: banking, investments, my mortgage, my car, my insurance with car and home, savings, two credit cards, and credit check...

Well, after weeks of email and getting ignored, I got told that they liked me, but don’t want me. Before you assume that I’m just complaining because I didn’t get hired, I would just like to say, I like where I am at, make more money than what USAA would have offered me, and have a better retirement. I just seriously wanted to work by my house, and have a lot of friends that work at USAA; also really looked up to/wanted to be a part of the company…

Speaking of which, based on the large amount of people that I know with USAA, they say that it was most likely due to my age that I did not get hired. I mean, I am fairly young at the age of 35...but I guess they want only “young pioneers”...

This is of course for a position that I went to school for and almost have my graduate in. A position that they claim that they are needing to hire 1000 people for this year alone, yet they only have 60 so far. A position that I went in against 15 other people for, yet the manager of the department claimed needs to hire all 15 of us.

So, I have no problem continuing my military career and not getting hired by USAA...but...I am currently in the process of removing all of my services from them to include: refinancing my home, refinancing my vehicle, removing my checking account, credit cards,  and savings account...transfering my investments, finding a new insurance company for all of my assets...removing my credit check service...

Talking to a lot of other people that I have networked with lately about this company, it turns out...it’s less utopian than people think; more Orwellian...

This is just the job process that I speak off, my banking process in the last decade has been a nightmare as well...something that I had hoped to remedy if I got hired on.

After what I have experienced, they only hold the veteran's best interest when that interest benefits them... I really can't blame them, they are a bank after all. Just giving a heads up...

3 REPLIES

I thank you for taking the time to share your specific concerns with us. I'm very sorry for the disappointment and frustration you may be feeling in regards to not being hired back in October. I wish there was more I could do to specifically help. I encourage you to please try again once a position you are interested in becomes available again. USAA is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer and gives consideration for employment to qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, veteran status or any other legally protected characteristic. Furthermore, USAA makes hiring decisions compliant with the Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance (LAMC 189.00). If you have additional questions or concerns, please email HumanResources@usaa.com for assistance. Thank you!

longtimemembr,

Too bad about your negative experience with USAA's employment process. Really makes you wonder if they are really interested in hiring people who understand military members and their families. An interesting question to ask during an interview but be what kind of employee are you looking for? You know the CEO was in the military for less than 10yrs--went to school and landed a couple of high-level jobs before being handed the keys to USAA. I've heard managers say that the younger and more inexperienced individuals are easier to train the way you want them to be--and cheaper to pay. Of course, many won't hesitate to quickly leave a job if they find the something that's less stressful, doesn't require them to learn much of anything and pays more. It's the sign of the times and many young managers seem to be intimidated by people (expecially those with more experience/maturity) who could put them to shame by showing strong work ethic and committment to an organization.  Heck--we can't even get some of our young homeowners to volunteer to be on our HOA committees or Board of Directors. Most of our volunteers are at 45+yrs old and they have full-time jobs too. Good luck.

Well of course there are 2 sides to every story & their response is not specific to you so we don't know for sure about the age! I don't know that having all your banking,insurance etc with them would have anything to do with why they should hire you. Sorry you had a bad experience, hope the job hunt goes well.