Highlighted
Occasional Contributor
So here's my problem, I have a four year contract and I'm closing in on my second year and I wanted to palace chase to go back to school full time, but I'm not so sure how the MGIB would work towards going back to school

3 REPLIES

Highlighted

Capt Jim Bob.

1. First of all, for those whom might not remember or know anything about the Palace Chase Program,
here is a quick definition:

------------------------------

The Palace Chase Program allows active duty officers and airmen to voluntarily transfer from active duty in the United States Air Force (USAF) to the United States Air Force Reserve (USAFR) or the Air National Guard (ANG).

The member's remaining active duty service commitment (ADSC) or term of enlistment may be waived, for approved applicants, in exchange for the member's agreement to participate in a Selected Reserve ("Traditional Reserve / Traditional Guard") program in the Air Reserve Component (ARC), the ARC consisting of both the Air Force Reserve and the Air National Guard.** Personnel transitioning to an ARC billet also remain eligible for acceptance into the full-time Active Guard and Reserve (AGR) and Air Reserve Technician (ART) programs.**

Personnel separating from active military service under the Palace Chase program are required to report to the gaining unit and participate satisfactorily in all Reserve/Guard-training activities for the duration of the Palace Chase contract. Failure to fulfill the contract could result in administrative action and recall to active duty in the Regular Air Force.

**See: AFI 36 - 3205 (PDF) **External Link.

2. The best answer I can find is YES you will be able to use your Montgomery GI Bill (MGIB) after being discharged from the USAF via the Palace Chase Program.

3. Here is a quote from General Information for Air Reserve Technician (ART) found here (PDF) **External Link.

Montgomery GI Bill-Selected Reserve (MGIBSR) Chapter 1606:

The MGIB-SR Program became effective 1 July 1985. It is not only designed to aid in recruiting but also recognizes the vital role of the Reserve Components in our defense and extends e ducational benefits to these “Citizen-Service members.” Additional, MGIB-SR benefits became to include post graduate study, and courses leading to a second baccalaureate degree, vocational and technical training, on-the-job training and apprenticeship training, flight training (must have private license), correspondence study and independent study.

4. Here are some additional EXTERNAL LINKS for you to explore:

Hope I have answered your question.

Highlighted

Thanks for the thorough recap of the Palace Chase Program WEBSITE GURU! 

Highlighted

I just found this link that essentially says what WEBSITE GURU shared earlier:

http://www.goang.com/join/air-force