thehip
Contributor

No threads seemed current enough so I am asking this question again - I am looking to buy a car with a salvaged title.  I am not financing it, I just want to insure it.  I already understand salvaged cars are worth LESS.  Does the salvage or branded title impact my auto insurance premiums.  Thanks.

12 REPLIES

@thehip, that's a great question. The salvage or branded title won't impact the auto insurance premium, the full premium will be charged. Please keep in mind any future claims will take into account the salvage or other branded title and its impact on the actual cash value of the vehicle. Thanks for your membership. -Paula

Well in addition, does USAA still finance salvage title vehicles? I found the perfect car I want thats about a fifth of its MSRP but with a salvage title and all the banks seem to be shying away from even considering it for some reason.

Hey @AaronG, appreciate you reaching out to us today. I was able to locate your profile and will share your concerns with a subject matter expert. Once reviewed they will contact you, thank you. 

I also have been approved for a used car loan. May I use that to purchase a 2016 Honda hrv with a salvaged title?

Mjoyce17 - Please call our loan origination team at 800-531-8722 to get more information on what kind of vehicle can be purchased with your pre-approval. Thanks, Jason

Excellent question.... I iwsh the answer was posted because I'm looking at a car with a salvage title in the morning

Hey @MDPD, I was able to locate your details as well. I can share with our subject matter expert and you will be contacted. Appreciate you reaching out, have a good night. 

@AaronG and @MDPD, we may be able to offer financing for rebuilt or salvaged titled vehicles. However, an exception to finance a salvaged vehicle must be approved by an underwriter. Keep in mind, we cannot provide additional funds to cover any of the repairs needed for repairing the vehicle. - Janay 

Follow up question.. I just went to apply for financing and I'm getting a message that states, "USAA Bank products are only available to military members, veterans who have honorably served, and their eligible family members." I'm a USAA member through my step dad who is retired Navy. Is there a way that I have to verify that first? or what do I need to do?