Highlighted
OrangeZ
Contributor

Dear USAA,

Next year we will have been together for 25 years. It saddens me to say we are breaking up. It's not me, it's you. For years you treated me well, but now it is clear you want a divorce. 

Every time over the past 5 years or so you have failed miserably to compete with pretty much everything. New car loan? 3 points higher. Mortgage? 2 points higher. Home insurance? 57% higher. You read that right. You are fifty seven percent higher. 

The only place you still shine is auto insurance, which is why I joined in the first place all those years ago. However, you are still not as good as you could be. You have become complacent with loyalty. You have lost "it" and you are failing. Please don't feed me the line about how a lot of factors go into determining something. I have never even seen an Allstate agent in my life, and they beat you today by 57% on home insurance out of the gate on an identical policy. That is insane. One of us is crazy.

I am in the middle of buying a home. I didn't even bother calling you this time. My side chick Navy Federal made you look like an amateur 3 years ago with VA mortgage rates. No reason to think the outcome would be any different when you gave my son a 14.5% car loan last month. (He and I will also be making a trip to Navy Federal before he deploys to Korea later this year to fix that surly loan shark type of auto loan he has with you. )

I want to give you money, but you don't want it. You are throwing away generations of solid customers that other financial organizations would kill for. It is like losing family. It is mind boggling. 

I just don't understand you anymore. 

2 REPLIES

Hello and thank you so much for taking your time to express the concerns you have with us in regards to not being competitive for your specific needs. It is difficult to hear that we're letting you down after such a long standing relationship with us for 25 years. I truly wish the pricing and annual percentage rates we offer were more beneficial toward your specific needs. Before pulling your products we would like to personally review each of the products you have or would like to have with us to see if you are receiving all the discounts available and to ensure the right deductibles are in place for your insurance products. We also can review any credit cards and/or consumer lending account you have to determine what personal factors from your credit profile impacted our decision regarding the annual percentage rates you received. We can also do the same thing for your son. At your earliest convenience please contact us at 210-531-USAA (8722), our mobile shortcut #8722 or 800-531-8722. Our business hours are Monday through Friday 6:30am-10:00pm CT and Saturday 8:00am - 6:00pm CT. Thank you! - Darrell

Hi Darrell,

Thanks for replying. I honestly believe that you would like to see USAA do better, but the problem seems to be at the top, and you are not going to be able to change that. 

After my post I surfed around these forums and found multitudes of posts regarding the same issues. I saw one 45+ year member say they were dumping USAA for the same reason. 45 years! These types of customers are the absolute cream of the crop, and USAA is shedding them in droves. 

The bottom line is that you can't fix stupid, and that is what USAA's current leaderhsip looks like. They will turn a profit in the short term, but in the long run they will lose. One of the most respected financial institutions I have ever known is being destroyed from the top down, and as hard as you try you are not going to be able to fix it. 

Long standing members are voting with their wallets, and it will sink USAA to the likes of AIG. I wish this was not the case, but the writing is on the wall.

Our beloved USAA has been hijacked by greed.