devrose
Contributor

My husband and I were with USAA for Auto insurance for years. We were involved in an accident, where we were struck by another vehicle. They never investigated the accident and deemed it 50/50 fault. The other party pushed for more, and when HIS COMPANY actually investigated it was determined to be his fault. Despite this, our insurance premiums kept raising. We called on multiple occasions to inquire about this, but were told the rates were on the rise in our area. When we finally got another quote, we realized something was very wrong. Upon switching carriers, we received a call from USAA. They had been charging us for a NO FAULT accident for over two years!!! Idiots!

Fast forward and our teenager received her license and insisted on calling USAA. She has had them for a few years now, and to be honest does not have the best record (3 accidents in 5 years). However, she called to make a payment 2 weeks ago, which they accepted. She ensured that her policy was good to go before concluding the conversation. Upon calling to make this montly payment, she was told that her insurance was terminated in May. My husband called on her behalf and was met with rude, noncompliant representatives who had zero customer service skills. They have now informed her that she no longer has insurance, and they are refuding the payment they accepted for the month! They never contacted her to inform her of this and made no attempt to refund, prior to her contacting them!! Honestly, this company makes me sick and I am will be financing my vehicle with an alternate company, just to ensure that they aren't getting my money! Unprofessional!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2 REPLIES

@devrose, I am terribly sorry to hear of your concerns with your auto claim as well as your daughter's insurance coverage. I have located your information and I am escalating this to the CEO Member Relations department to review further. Please allow 2-3 business days for this to occur. Thank you.

An insurance company cannot by law cancel your policy without adequate written notice (it differes a bit for non-payment of premium). 

If you recieved no such notice, and the insurance company has your correct address you might wish to file a complaint with the state insurance regulator (you can find your state's using the map at https://www.naic.org/state_web_map.htm

However, during my career in insurance regulation I found that is almost never the case.   You almost certainly notified, but perhaps the letter was unopened or mislaid.     Your insurance company will be able to tell you if the letter was send and provide a copy if you need it.