Vulgate
Contributor
USAA refused to fully cover OEM windshield replacement. They want their customers to use 2nd rate Safelite (disaster of a company), cheap parts, that satisfy their “safety” ratings. So, basically if you do not use Safelite you are on the hook to pay whatever the difference + deductible. This is a joke.

8 REPLIES

@Vulgate, I am sorry to hear of your concerns with the windshield replacement. I have located your claim information and I am escalating this to the claims service manager in our glass department. They will review your situation and reach out to you. Thank you.

I found this page via Google search for "why I left USAA safelite"

I'm going through this right now and it's ridiculous. A vandal broke 2 windows on my car, and Safelight couldn't get me an appointment for 2 weeks out. The back glass for my car is only available OEM and none of the local cheap shops had it in stock, so I just took my car to the dealer because they had the glass in stock and could replace it soon (it's been raining! what am I supposed to do, drive around in the rain for 2 weeks with 2 broken windows waiting for Safelight?!)

The amount my USAA adjustor is pre-approving is $500 short of the proper OEM cost of window replacement. I didn't pay insurance premiums for 15 years to have pay $500 additional over my deductible the one time I do have to make a claim.

@aguynamedben, I am terribly sorry to hear about the glass damage to your vehicle and your concerns with your auto claim. I have located your information and I am escalating this to a subject matter expert. They will review the situation and reach out to you. Thank you.

I will definitely come back here and post a positive comment about OEM glass replacement if you can help me sort this out. I wish it was the default to "do the right thing" i.e. understand the realities of OEM pricing when it *is* necessary. I'm indifferent to the glass or who does the work, I just need it done and the OEM is the only person who could do it soon!

Coming home from church two weeks ago had the defrost on high and heard a loud crack.  I have been trying to get infomation on my Jeep Wrangler windshield.  I normally never make any claims but have $0 on glass so thought I would see what could be done.  I was told no and have been getting run-a-round from safelite when I asked about an OEM windshield replacement. I also have not gotten a straight answer from USAA (had to be transfered and then was disconnected).  I have decided to just have the Jeep Dealer install a OEM windshield and submit the claim or I will just pay for it.  Whatever it takes.  I just want it fixed and then can figure it all out. 

@OliveJKU I can understand your frustration regarding this matter. I have escalated your concerns to a subject matter expert to review. They will be following up with you in the next 1 to 2 business days.

I currently have safelite here replacing our windshield and I decided to look up the cost of the windshield without insurance through their company and it is cheaper than the deductible we are being required to pay.  I am angry that we are getting duped on this now and I wish I would have read these comments before making the decision to use the insurance company. 

@RW87 Oh no we never want our members to feel this way. I have escalated your concerns to a subject matter expert to review. They will be following up with you in the next 1 to 2 business days.