Highlighted
Contributor
I purchased a 2014 Passat TDI with the help of USAA car finder & financed it through USAA. Now we are learning that Volkswagen has pulled a fast one. I'm so angry at being so mislead. What's the best course of action? I want a complete buy-back. Should I join a class action lawsuit suit? Is USAA offering any assistance with this?

8 REPLIES

Highlighted

The use of the car won't suffer, in fact the performance will be better when it isn't in 'cheat the emmissions test' mode.  Of course you'll be polluting like a factory, but you're car will run fine. 

I wouldn't rush into anything I'm sure your concerns will be addressed in due course.  I'd bet you get a check in a few years for forty seven bucks or something like that. 

Highlighted
I agree with 727. If you end up keeping the I car I would recommend never taking the car in for the recall when it is issued as this will only significantly hurt your mileage and performance and there is no benefit to having it "fixed"
Highlighted
Edit: in addition your car will likely have a better resale value later on if it still has an ECU with the original firmware.
Highlighted
If I don't make the changes, how will I pass NYS inspections?
Highlighted

Dear Jules RN,

I would suggest that the you first try working with the dealer and manufacturer to see what they are going to do. I know VW is actively working on a fix for this. If you would like them to buy the car back, I suggest you contact the dealership and manufacturer.If you don't feel you are getting anywhere with the dealer and manufacturer, then you might want to look at joining in one of the class action lawsuits.

USAA doesn’t have a position in this since it is not just a dealer issue. This is a manufacturer issue affecting millions of vehicles. Thank you for posting here in the community!

Highlighted

I too am a casualty of "der schvindle".  I also used USAA car buying service insummer of 2014 to buy a new Jetta TDI diesel wagon.

Per Kinplinger report suggestion, I am joining the class action being brought by Hagens Berman lawfirm against VW.

They are working on getting a full value refund since the car will NOT perform acceptably after "the fix".

Highlighted

Actually the real scandal is that the EPA has two or more standards.  Look at any American diesel truck accellerating and you'll see plenty of soot.  Our Golf TDI is white and has not shown any soot collecting over the tail pipe in 62,000 miles.  Why do they make a clean burning diesel that is accepted in over 60 countries but not here?  Politics. the EPA and the US car manufactureres don't want clean fuel efficient diesels competing.  Diesels are a high tolerance engine. also the EPA makes the Passat TDI use DEF fluid because its a "full size car"?  More Politics.  If the EPA wanted to lower environmental impact they would end the ethanol use in motor vehicles.

EPA also makes the cars use a low sulfide diesel fuel.  the sulfides provide lubrication.  Injectors, valves etc.  So low sulfide fuel ruins most US and foreign manufacturers diesel injectors.  Ask any GM or ford truck owner who paid $4000-$5000 to replace them. (not much savings there, but they sure do pull) So use the diesel fuel lubricant, don't get it modified, Service at the regualr intervals.  Keep an eye on the tire pressure, belts and hoses and you'll probably get 300,000 miles out of it. 

Your VW has less carbon footprint than a Prius or any hybrid that use Lithium Ion batteries.  look at what it takes to make those batteries holistically (mining, multiple country parts and processing etc)  and a GM Tahoe is greener due to manufacturing impacts, "Top Gear 2005ish)".

Highlighted

All of the advice suggests to hold onto the car and see what happens.  Problem is that a 3 year deployment is only a few weeks away and no one will buy the car at any price - not even the dealer.  What are people doing when they own one of the affected cars and they are being deployed and have to get rid of it quick?  I can't even sell for a substantial loss and don't want to make a car payment while the car is stuck in the U.S. and we are in Japan.