USAA signed me up for a car loan for 8k more than I agreed to...now they refuse to fix the problem and continue to IGNORE me.

Highlighted

I'll start by saying that my wife and I have been USAA members for a very long time now. Never have we been treated so disrespectfully and felt so ignored by them until now...with my wife about to give birth to our first born in the next few weeks, I never expected I would be wasting multiple hours/ weekends / head space trying to fix their mistake...No one seems to even care / want to help my situation which is not only extrememly concerning but also makes me question why I'm even their customer to begin with. Writing and spreading this complaint across the interenet is literally the only other thing I can think of doing to get some resolution at this point. And I will continue doing so until this is resolved, so here's my first stop...

My wife and I just bought a car at Carmax a couple weekends back. Thinking that we trust USAA to give us the best customer experience & rate with an auto loan, we decided to go with them. BIG MISTAKE apparently. We signed up for a 29k loan from USAA. All paperwork that we reviewed and signed refelcted this 29k loan. That's NOT what we received...

Fastforward a few days after driving our new car off the lot of Carmax - I happen to open my phone app open and see that we were signed up for a $37k loan, 8k more than we expected / signed for. Not only is the loan 8k more than what we needed, but the payment was about $160 more per month than what we were expecting to pay (very scary to see this when you're about to have your first born and are trying to set yourself up successfully, financially speaking).  I verified that this was both CarMax's and USAA's fault - CarMax ended up sending a loan request form packet over to USAA which includes the obvious itemization breakdown of the accurate amount, 29k, BUT... the first document is a form (in which was never showed to us until after the fact as it's back office paperwork) where a CarMax represenative writes in the loan amount that is requested - a summary page of sorts. He requested 37k, 8k over the amount in which the itemization breakdown form CLEARLY stated. At this point, USAA must have looked at ONLY the summary page that was sent over and completely trusted this one Carmax representative's writing in amount of 37k rather than VERYIFYING the amount on the actual Itemization breakdown. So as the customer, I was never protected by either USAA or CarMax - the mistake was ONLY caught because I found the error. Neither did Carmax nor USAA pick up the error...

I called USAA and explained my situation to a representative. I asked to speak with a manager as it became clear that the represenative that I was currently talking to didn't know what to do. I was put in contact with their "Executive" teammember, Gloria Sendejo from USAA consumer lending, Executive Resolutions Team. At this point, I thought I could breathe a little sigh of relief thinking that this situation was going to be taken care of. This was absolutely NOT the case...

After ample time explaining the situation to Gloria Sendejo, she assured me that it would be taken care of. She was going to have CarMax send over the 8k and then we would be able to fix the loan from there - adjusting the 8k and taking down the payment to the original amount we signed up for. I requested to get her contact information and she let me know she would follow up when the 8k was transferred back over from Carmax to USAA.

She did end up calling when the 8k was sent back over to USAA. At this point, we needed to fix the loan terms / monthly payment, essentially starting a new loan (that was promised not to affect our credit whatsoever, which I'm still unsure of). She said would take some time and asked for me to call back that day. This was last week on Monday (2/4/19) when we started this process...well it's now Monday (2/11/19) and I have still yet to get a hold of her and no one has reached out to us. I've left several messages on her direct line, practically begging her to call me back so that we can finally fix this...

It was last Friday (2/8/19), when I tried to get a hold of someone else at USAA that would help me correct THEIR error (Gloria was ignoring my calls all week, so I tried to get someone else that would actually care). After having to explain my situation to more represenatives and wasting more time (hours on the phone), I'm STILL left here with no help. Apparently, they don't even have notes on my case that they can refer to -  so I have to re-explain and escalate calls to people who supposedly have the ability to help, but never do. To top it all off, after explaining my situation to yet another represenative, I was placed on about a 40 minute wait to be transferred to another rep in the loan / bank department. The call was dropped as I was transferred and they hung up the phone on me...no one called me back. Impressive. I proceeded to call yet once again...same road blocks  - NO ONE WANTS TO HELP.

I'm just utterly amazed at the lack of concern, respect and professionalism that I've experienced.  Is there anyone at USAA that is going to step up and help me?

2 REPLIES

Good Morning @CustomerWhoNeedsHelp, This is very concerning to us and I will forward your message to the appropriate area to review. Thank you for your patience during the review process and the opportunity to address your concerns. ~ Lori C.