USAA does not provide complete coverage for car rentals - beware - don't believe it when they say they do

JustFred
Contributor
Would like to make all USAA auto policy holders aware that your policy DOES NOT provide full coverage when renting a car!!! I have been told by USAA representatives that I could 
decline rental car company's offered coverage. I have followed this and was recently in an accident. I got hit with a surprise charge by Budget of $1,314! In discussing this with the USAA case manager was told that he had not seen anything like that in 24 years and it must be a mistake. Contacted Budget and it was not a mistake: the charge was for usage loss of the damaged vehicle. I asked case manager if USAA was going to notify policyholders of this and he said no, they would watch the frequency and trends and perhaps talk to their rental car partners about it.

3 REPLIES

Thank you for sharing this.  This is important information to know when shopping for auto insurance.  

I was told the same thing before as you were - that it was covered.

You are actually addressing two different issues.  First, the auto insurance does cover the rental if you carry the correct coverages.  Second, the rental company said the charge was for their loss of business which has nothing to do with car insurance.  It has to do with the car not being available for rent.  However, I would question that since they usually have an abundance of cars so having ONE out of service is not an inconvenience.  It is just another way companies are trying to find to increase their income and alienate customers.  Your anger should be pointed at Budget.