Highlighted
Contributor

Use this program at your own risk. This program is not managed by USAA and the "USAA Certified Dealer" means nothing; this is a program that dealers pay to get your visit.  My daughter was overcharged $1000 by a USAA dealer and a second USAA Dealer took them more than 2 weeks to pay off my wife's Trade-In.  

4 REPLIES

Highlighted

Hi @MoraleCourage, thank you for reaching out. I'm sorry to hear of your experience regarding the USAA Car Buying Service. I'd be happy to submit this feedback to the appropriate team for you, as we're always looking for ways to better improve the services we offer our members. Thank you for taking the time to bring this to our attention. ~Holland

Highlighted

I would tend to agree that all too often the partipating dealers are shady. Very common to see “Great price” on a vehicle only to discover that once you initIate the member pricing they are offsetting the low price with very high dealer fees and/or overpriced add ones such as anti-theft. I’ve also found some vehicles getting the “Great Price” label turn out to be damaged or even salvage title...and I have to go to CarGurus to find that out. I would like to think USAA would only enter into partnerships with reputable dealers but it’s turning out to not be the case at all. Your 0.5% savings is not worth it

Highlighted

@Melmark, this is concerning to hear as this is not the type of experience we want our members to have when using the Car Buying Service. If you have had an issue with a particular dealer I do recommend giving us a call at 800-531-8722. We would be happy to review our concerns and escalate the issue for further review. 

Highlighted

@ wrote:

I would tend to agree that all too often the partipating dealers are shady. Very common to see “Great price” on a vehicle only to discover that once you initIate the member pricing they are offsetting the low price with very high dealer fees and/or overpriced add ones such as anti-theft. I’ve also found some vehicles getting the “Great Price” label turn out to be damaged or even salvage title...and I have to go to CarGurus to find that out. I would like to think USAA would only enter into partnerships with reputable dealers but it’s turning out to not be the case at all. Your 0.5% savings is not worth it

Very common indeed. Many users of this service have reported these issues with USAA over the past few years, but I guess little has changed. Dealership prices are usually better before involving USAA's Car Buying services or telling them you plan to trade in a vehicle. I also started getting calls from a particular dealership when I was looking for a specific vehicle they didn't have on the lot, but I knew was available in another State. Kept getting calls by the dealership rep to get me into a vehicle that wasn't even close to my requirements. I'd take the extra time to shop around for different dealerships, because you usually get better deals (even finance rates) than going through USAA. I found that to be the case when a bought a Honda and Toyota vehicle a few years back. Unfortunately, USAA couldn't come close to what some of the dealerships were offering--and many were already cutting their SRP by a good amount. It also pays to wait for seasonal sales/offers when new models are coming projected to be released. Some dealerships provide some modest discounts to active duty/veterans as well.