KBS1
Contributor

I’ve been a member of USAA for 50 years and often brag about it being a no-nonsense type of company. My daughter had used the Car Buyer Service a few years back and was very happy with it and I merely responded, “see, I told you they were a good company that provides outstanding services to its members.” Well, that assessment appears to have changed. I explored the USAA Car Buyer Service today and it was a disaster. I am currently embarrassed that USAA would have abandoned a service which members thought so highly of and replaced it with such a wasteful alternative. My advice to USAA: terminate the current program immediately; it offers nothing to its members and has become just another way in which dealers can harrass potential buyers. Face it, if I wanted only a MSRP, I could easily get it anywhere and that’s all the USAA program provides at the moment. USAA, you and I would both be much better off if you were to simply terminate the current program and forget about it as an unforunate mistake. It only serves as an embarrassment, a waste of time and certainly undermines the reputation of an outstanding company. Whoever at USAA thought that this would improve services ought to be reprimanded.

5 REPLIES

@KBS1, We appreciate your loyalty over the past 50 years. Thank you for sharing your experience with the USAA Car Buying Service. I'm sharing your feedback with the appropriate are for review. ~DC

I had a similar experience with USAA car buying service as well. They offer you nothing but MSRP and invite you into the showroom. THERE IS NO CAA VUYUBG SERVICE!!
I concur with this car buying experience. I was able to negotiate a better deal when I asked the sales rep to drop the USAA supposed deal. It was disappointing and frustrating. I, too have been with USAA for many years, and it is hard to brag when you run into issues like this.

I agree totally.   I had a similar experience last year and posted the following.    USAA takes no responsibility for the damage done to its members using this service but I presume gladly takes a payout from True Car as part of their arrangement.  This program is a disservice to its members.

I've been a proud USAA member for 40 years.  I have believed that USAA had always provided quality services to its members. That is until now.   Why USAA would hitch its wagon and reputation to a dirt-bag organization like TrueCar baffles me and is disappointing. Unfortunately, I found out the hard way - in USAA I trusted - that this car buying service would be proved to be a benefit to members and provide some verified level of protection to USAA members.   But I found there was none.   I wish I had read some of these bad reviews by members before I used this "service."   As it turns out, there is no guaranteed price.   Participating dealers can add all the junk fees to inflate the price as they please, and still pull-off all the Kabuki dance haggling you were hoping to avoid.  When you raise these issues to USAA reps or TrueCar reps you are basically told "too bad" and they read you fine print that says dealers may charge additional fees (I still don't know why that little fact is not highlighted on the USAA site).   So what benefit do members receive?   Being set up as a pigeon?   TrueCar is paid by the dealers for each sucker delivered to them.  They certainly have no incentive to protect USAA members from this bait & switch scam.   So why doesn't USAA?   Get rid of TrueCar or get rid of the Buying Service altogether.   Years ago I bought a car via my Credit Union's car buying service.  Apparently they had concluded arrangements directly with various dealers - so they ensured certain standards were in place before dealers could participate.  When I went to the lot to purchase the vehicle, the transaction was flawless and at the price I expected.   So, why can't a huge organization like USAA do that?    Right now USAA's car buying service is a disgrace.

Tags (0)

@Lonecamp, I can see you're upset with your experience using the Car Buying Service. I will engage a subject matter expert for further handling. Please allow sufficient time for completion of their review and we will follow up with you. - Ben