Old AF Medic
Contributor

I have the unfortunate opportunity to work with the claims dept with USAA after my really old vw bug caught fire.  In order not to make this a novel, I will abbreviate the just of my interaction.  After taking close to 3 weeks to come up with a number for total loss payout, and our calling them every 2-3 days, and them saying it should be a couple days. The amount they came up with was literally 1/2 of what i was expecting.

This car is over 50yrs old, and after purchasing it I restored it for over 2 years, and spent way over $20,000 replacing almost every part on the car.  A couple months ago it won best vw in a classic car show. 

So after a lengthy discussion with multiple people at the total loss dept. or what ever it was?  They told me well you are going to have to prove that you spent that on the restoration.  You are going to have to send us reciept.  Ok, so I sent them the bulk of reciepts that were for more than 40 or 50 dollars.  There was probably in excess of 40 reciepts.  I was told that it usually takes 4-6 hours for them to reevalute after getting reciepts, and i was advised to call back near the end of the day for them and it should be done.  When I called nothing had been done, and infact it still hadn't been forward or sent to dept. that does that.  

1 REPLY

Hello Old, thank you for participating in the Member Community, even though I wish it was under happier circumstances. I have located your claim and it appears that all of your invoices have been received and are currently being reviewed. Once the review is completed, someone will be contacting you directly to discuss. Thank you for your patience concerning this matter and we look forward to speaking with you.