we are PCS's with federal govt and can't take our car, if it is stored do we have to keep insurance on it?


It is possible to insure it even if it sits. Before canceling coverage there are a few things you should check into
Does the place your storing it have insurance that will protect you if there is damage to the car while it is stored.
Reputable places offer that with an extra fee. However some places offer it but can have lapses in coverage or offer it without having the insurance to back it up or comes with a high deductible.
Talk to your insurance company and see if they offer discount for non moving car being placed in storage.
Hope you find the answers you're looking for.
It depends on what state you live in. Some states require it per law, others don't


Thank you for your question! I recommend calling a member service representative at1-800-531-USAA (8722) and discussing your options with your current policy. They will be able to tell you what they recommend as well as compare prices and options with you. Good luck with your upcoming PCS!