Safelite windshield replacement problems December 2019

Highlighted
Contributor

I am a disabled veteran and have been a USAA member for over 30 years. I am disappointed with the Safelite windshield service. A rock flew up and struck my windshield on the driver side directly in front of my view. Safelite repaired my windshield at their store on 19 December 2019. I was unhappy with the repair (spot repair directly in my field of view), so I called USAA and requested full windshield replacement while I was still at the Safelite shop and USAA transferred me to their Safelite department. They asked me some questions regarding the car having a camera and a rain sensor. They scheduled me for a window replacement on 23 December 2019. The Safelite shop is 15 miles or a 30-minute drive from my home. When I arrived for my 23 December appointment they looked and told me that the incorrect windshield had been ordered, so I would need to make a new appointment. I was rescheduled for 30 December 2019. In the meantime, I wanted to inform USAA and Safelight about that poor service. All my calls to USAA were transferred to Safelite and Safelite was not willing to acknowledge that they could have done a better job. I asked one Safelite representative 3 times for her name on 30 December 2019 at around noon. She finally said that her name was "Terreece" (?sp) and then she transferred me to a nonworking number. Safelite could have saved me a lot of travel trouble (gas) and time (about 2 hours of my time) by ordering the correct windshield in the first place. I was at the Safelite shop when the order was placed, and they could have easily looked at the picture on their computer screen to match up the correct camera window configuration with the car's original windshield. Alternatively, I could have snapped a photo of my windshield for them to look at. So why did they not do that in the first place? They did not want to acknowledge this carelessness. I finally figured out how to call a USAA representative who was able to document my concern and request a callback. In the meantime, I returned with my car on 30 December 2019 for the replacement. After about 2.5 hours of work time, the Safelite technician (Mark) called me and said that the windshield had been replaced with the camera recalibrated, but they had failed to notice a crack in the glass at the bottom of the driver's-side of the windshield. So, I had to pay my $50 deductible to retrieve my car with an installed cracked windshield and I now I need to return for another 4-hour round-trip visit on 9 January 2020. They are doing this 3rd attempt at replacement as a warranty repair on the cracked windshield that they installed in my car and required me to pay for ($50 deductible). That is now just as well that I must return, because it is raining today, and my rain sensor seems to be no longer working with this new windshield installation.
Today is 31 December 2019 and moments ago (around 16:00) I received a call from Lieso (?sp) from Safelite (I think that it was the documented report to a USAA representative on 30 December 2019 that finally got Safelite’ s attention) and after I explained my story she said that she will be crediting me back the $50 deductible.
So, I am grateful that the Safelite staff at the shop were at least honest and did not try to cover-up the fact that they had installed a cracked windshield. It's about a 2-inch-long crack.
But this process will continue and hopefully on 9 January 2020 I will receive a proper repair with proper camera and rain sensor recalibration. I hope that others do not have to go through this same process that I have experienced. I hope that Safelite will incorporate my suggestion to visually double check that the windshield being ordered (based upon the VIN) matches the picture of the windshield that they can view on their computer screen when the glass is ordered (staff at the Safelite shop looked at the actual windshield picture when my windshield was re-ordered)

I am interested if anyone has advice about checking your new windshield for defects? For the crack in my windshield, it is most easily discovered if you go over your windshield with a flashlight to look for cracks. I suggest that customers do this at the shop after their new windshield is installed. Any other suggestions?

1 REPLY

Highlighted

@ Molecular,

Thank you for over 30 years of membership and thank you for your service.  Please know that it is never our intent for you to feel disappointed with our service.  I'd like to have your concerns with your glass claim reviewed further.   I’ve escalated your situation to a subject matter expert who will be reaching out to you to address your concerns.  Please allow 2-3 business days for contact.   Thank~Mike