Regular Contributor
In a total loss situation what if a comparable car cannot be located in the immediate area? How far out can a member look to find something similar? A low mileage high option manual transmission car was totaled but all that can be found locally are high mileage base models.

5 REPLIES

Highlighted

@Therealaquaman, I will convey your questions to claims for an answer. - Ina                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                          

Highlighted

USAA will insist on using comps from within 100 miles of you, and insist on using the lowest comps they can find like those high mile car, while giving you "comp" credit for those high mileage cars... and they will credit like 30.00 when it's more like a 2k difference. All to low ball you while you don't have your car and they do.

They offered 6k, I was at 9800

If you use the appraisal clause, it will cost you and USAA to get appraisers, who will use any car, any where in the world to come to an ACV agreement. In my case, they agreed on my original ACV value, using comps I originally sent in.

They settled last week for 9800... and it cost me 750 for the appriaser.

Their entire process is built to wear you down and get you to accept their low ball.

Highlighted
Thanks, still no official answer from USAA though. Weird.
Highlighted

Did they answer yet?

Highlighted

They will limit you to 100 miles max.

They won't care about the high miles, that's like a 22.00 difference in their attempt to low ball you.

Get ready to hire someone to appraise it.  Then they can use whatever comp they can find.