Stressed out mama
Contributor

Well * has not been a great year for my little family.  July 30th I was rear ended while I was stopped.  I was 33 weeks pregnant at the time.  Luckily my 3 young children were not with me at the time.  The frustration started when I went to Enterprise and expressed the fact that I had 3 small children in car seats and had a fourth threatening to make his arrival at any time.  They told me my insurance coverage was that for a sedan, despite the fact that the vehicle I had been driving was a mid size SUV with 5 seat in the rear, plenty for my family.  After all was said and done, I ended up having to pay enterprise $242.43 out of pocket, just so I could make sure I was in a vehicle that fit 3 car seats correctly with the option to put number 4 in, in case baby made his appearance.  

When I bought my new vehicle, I made sure that we had the rental coverage appropriately selected in order to have the correct size vehicle in case anything happened.  Well, October 30th, our new to us vehicle was stolen while grocery shopping.  Long story short, that vehicle was also deemed to be a total loss.  As if having to buy another vehicle this close to the holidays as a single mom to 4 kiddos, one only being a couple months old, wasn't stressful enough, USAA has also made this process even more frustrating.  They told me a settlement amount on a Thursday afternoon and asked me to sign and send a POA back.  I completed that on Friday and gave them a call.  They explained payment to me would not be issued until they received and processed that. Oh but my rental would only be covered for 7 days from the day they told me my settlement amount.  I don't know about you, but I can't buy another vehicle without having the settlement amount in my account.  So I called on Monday and they told me that they received the POA and would issue payment that would probably be in my account Wednesday, the same day the rental is due back.  The representative said "oh you can keep the rental, you will just have to pay $40 out of pocket each day." I don't feel like I'm asking for the world when I asked that the rental be extended only 2 additional days to allow me time to find transportation for my children and I.  When I asked to speak to a manager, I was told "They are going to tell you the same thing.  It's per your policy, you can read it if you would like." Well as any interested party would do, I tried to read my policy, but surprise, I can no longer access my policy since they removed my totaled vehicle off of my insurance.  

USAA may want to reconsider cutting off the rental reimbursement in a way that leaves their long time members stranded without vehicles.  

1 REPLY

Stressed out mama,

I am so sorry to hear about your recent claim experience, and I definitely want to have your concerns reviewed further.  I have escalated your situation to a member of management who will be reaching out to you to address your concerns. ~Mike