My girlfriend and I purchased a car together so we can reduce our APR rate. I cosigned the loan and I am the one who has a USAA account. However, I want to keep her as the primary owner of the car. When I spoke with a representative they told me I need to remove her completely from the title. This is not something we want to do as she has paid of over $13,000 in two years alone. Since she does not have a USAA and we are not married can we still finance a vehicle through you guys together?

3 REPLIES

That's a great question, @shor2375. In short, yes. If your girlfriend is listed under your family list as your girlfriend/co-habitant, you can refinance a current loan with us with both of you on the loan, and on the title. However, be aware that since you're the one with the membership, you will be placed as the primary on the loan, and your girlfriend will be listed as the co-applicant. She will have the same responsibility and rights to the loan as you, but you must be named as primary on the loan due to membership guidelines. She can be listed on the title of the vehicle as an owner. You can submit an application online, if you'd prefer. Simply click Products, then Banking, Loans and then click the Refinance Your Car green button. Please remember, you'll need your girlfriend's information to submit for the credit review, and we do complete a full credit profile for each of you. If you elect to call and have a representative complete the application, we will need to call and speak with your girlfriend as a part of the application process to confirm her permission and intent to apply for joint credit. I hope this helps. Please don't hesitate to reach out if you have any other questions. I hope you have a great weekend. - Cathleen

USAA, Cathleen's response to this question should be forwarded around to all your customer-facing employees. THIS is what we would like to see more of in the USAA Community. She answered the question publicly, keeping the information generic, and we all learned something from the answer. Infinitely better than "I have forwarded this to the appropriate..." that we usually see.

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us today @R_S, I will share with the appropriate area. We always appreciate feedback from members like yourself who are keen on offering us ways to better serve our members in the future. -Emily