Highlighted
treker1383
Contributor

What kind of rate increases did everyone see with this latest renewal period? With no changes in cars, drivers, no accidents or tickets, our rates went up 63% (~$1500 to ~$2300 every 6 months). Seems like lots of people saw an increase, but was it to this extreme? The only answer I can get from USAA is there was a "rate revision".

Talking to friends with other companies in my area, $1500 sounds about right for the same number of cars and drivers. Been with USAA for 20 years and had a great experience, but I'm afraid I'm going to have to start shopping around.

3 REPLIES

Oh, no! This is not the experience nor service we want for any of our members, treker1383. We are always open to any and all feedback. We are also more than happy to assist you with any policy reviews, competitor quotes as well as address any customer service issues. We offer an online option via our click to chat channel, please go to the insurance page > reach a representative or if you prefer, a representative can be reached by phone at 1-800-531-8722 (USAA) or #8722 (USAA) from a cell phone.

Thanks for the response. I've already contacted USAA through the chat and called in. In our auto-renewal, our son was removed as a driver for some reason. So, I've had to call in multiple times to figure that out. (They have submitted an IT ticket to figure that out, but no answers on that yet either.) Each time I've called in though, I have asked about the premium jump. Your reps have been very polite and professional, but they can't provide any information other than saying there was a "rate revision" in our area. They can't tell me how much other rates went up around me, why the rates went up so much, what would cause a ~60% increase, etc? They said it was all up to the underwriters, but customers can't talk to them. I talked to a supervisor and was told there was no one else to talk to. I assume USAA has some cause to raise the rate that much, but I can't get any answers. It's just frustrating.

Shop arround.  You will find better rates.  I saved $1,300.00/year by leaving USAA.  The coverage is better and includes one of our vehicles not being stored as it was under USAA's policy.  That is an additional $800/year savings.  USAA is not competitive anymore on ANYTHING they offer and other insurance companies no longer fear them as they did in the past.  Please do not stay out of any sense of loyalty.  I left after 40 years with USAA.  USAA under Stuart Parker's leadership has lost its way and he needs to resign immediately.  USAA rates are terrible as you have experienecd and their customer service has gone down the drain.  What reason is there to stay with USAA?