I have been a USAA customer for years, with a clean driving record.  Zero tickets, and zero at-fault accidents.  I have upped my coverage over the years to ensure I have ample coverage for my 3 vehicles.  I have also lowered my deductibles.  Last month I scraped a light pole in the parking lot when leaving work late.  I was tired, and it was definitely my fault.  So, I contacted USAA, told them what happened, and filed my claim.  Just received my policy renewal notice and they went up on my policy "due to an accident".  WOW!  I more than paid for this claim with the years of paying a substancial amount of money to USAA with a clean driving record...and they went up on my policy due to one at-fault accident in a 33-year clean driving record.  Guess it's clear what they really value.  I thought USAA was better than other insurance companies...but they are just like all the rest.  They even offered to "adjust my coverage" to lower my rate.  SMH.  Then I find out that due to an error on thier part, my policy will increase a total of $400 in the next premium.  What?  They can't even explain that correctly to me.  Let me reiterate, 33 YEARS WITH NO AT-FAULT ACCIDENT AND NO TICKETS!  Matters not at all to USAA.

So, they've lost a customer that basically helped them to pay claims for other at-fault claims over the years, because I had none, until now.  I'll give my money to another company that actually values thier customers driving records as well as their money.  And to be clear, it's not the money.  I'll pay someone more for sure until this is off my record.  

3 REPLIES

Thank you @ALH2021 for your longtime membership of 33 plus years trusting USAA with your insurance needs.  I certainly get your frustrations when seeing increases on your renewal after a claim has been made.  We do appreciate your patience and bringing this to us this afternoon, I have forwarded your experience to the appropriate team to further review your claim error.  ~Marco  

You must remember that USAA changed it's focus.  Instead of being focused on you and your 33 year clean driving record, USAA main focus now is enriching it's CEO and upper management and forcing the CEO's and upper management political beliefs on USAA.  Shop around.  You will be amazed at how much better you can do than staying with USAA.  What has been intentionally done to USAA is a disgrace.

Same thing happened to me.  I had my first at-fault accident in 2019 since I first joined USAA 34 years ago.  I received a "your rates are going up due to your accident" notice at my next policy renewal even though I had "Accident Forgiveness" on my policy.  I guess I don't understand the USAA definition of that phrase.

I also suspect, but can't prove, that my SSA distribution this year was reduced due to the accident.

Amica keeps sending me solicitations.  I think I'll read the next one I receive.