LOW ACV
Contributor

Our family has been with USAA since the 90's.  We were proud members and always promoted how USAA will have your back.  Well, that's what we thought until my car was considered a total loss.  The claim was going smoothly until dealing with the total loss department and that's where it went downhill fast.  I was initially told that I would receive 3400 after my deductible.  I informed USAA that they left out alot of options when they did the computations.  After adding the options, it went up to 4032.50.  They threw alot of numbers at me and the comparables around me to show how they came up with the numbers.

Hold on......here is where it makes no sense from the table below showing my car versus the 3 comparables:

comp 1: $21,510 142,575miles ACV $5237
comp 2: $23,815 144,458miles ACV $4953
comp 3: $21,515 118,855miles ACV $5618
our car: $23,025 106,482miles ACV $4517

My car has the lowest mileage and second highest MSRP.  They are trying to tell me that my car is worth less because why?  The adjusters aren't willing to budge anymore and says my car is of lesser value even though it has more options?

Let this be a cautionary tale for anyone reading this.....USAA says they have your back but they sadly don't.  I will be looking to move to another insurance company and move all of my banking elsewhere.  I am tired of getting the run around from a faceless company.  Keep in my mind that there will be no face to face interactions and you are at the mercy of whoever is at the end of the other line.

Most Helpful

Hi @LOW ACV,

I've had the same problem.  I had even CCC, the adjuster threaten me to accept his valuation report.  I posted my issues (and pasted it in the reponse below) but agree with you.  Sorry to hear this has happened to you.

Sincerely,

Chris

<I've been a USAA member since 1992.  I have my insurance, banking, mortgages, and investments with USAA since the 1992.  Since my accident and the threat, I feel I should change all my accounts.

I was rear ended by a 70 year old lady traveling at 100 MPH (per police report) on my way to work.  My vehicle was destroyed.  I'm still going through medical rehab.  USAA using CCC has tried to threaten me to accept the valuation for total loss of my car.

The USAA staff member that came out to assess the car initially filed the wrong infomration (ie, had 50k on miles, when I had 29k).  I received at least three follow-on reports, each with issues (missing options).

Then with the final report I called USAA and USAA (Krystal W.) connected with the CCC ONE adjuster, Michael Fernandez.  The following questions/issues discussions I had with Michael and Krystal: 

- Me: My car is in Oahu, why were all the comps found in California (at least 2400 miles away). 

-- Michael:  There is no comps (comparables) on the island.

- Me:  I found at least six when I looked on the internet of dealers selling the same model on Oahu and Maui.

-- Michael:  We look at cars that are sold.  (That is not true since  11-17 of the comps on the report are listed [not sold]).

- Me:  The market for cars are higher on the island than on the mainland.  The comps I found were higher here on the islands.

-- Michael:  We don't look at markets.  We look at value.  Also, the cars on the island have less options than yours. 

- Me:  So, with the additional options I had on my car would increase my value?

-- Michael:  No, it actually would be less because there is no market for your model with your options.  (WHAT?  More options = less value?  No market, but isn't the car based on value [what Michael stated]?)

- Me:  Even on other sites (KKB, Edmonds, etc), the value is higher than what you provided.

-- Michael:  Doesn't matter.  All those online sites in the fine print state the numbers they provide are 10% higher than reality.  We go off the true value that factor in the sold price since sale price is not final price.  (Huh?  [*for the record, I didn't have the market valuation report with me since I called from my rental], but upon returning home and looking at the report, Michael had AUTOTRADER as a source for the comps.  How KKB/EDMONDS/AUTOTRADER/ETC have similar market values and then Michael states CCC does not use it?)

- Me:  How did CCC come up with the valuations? 

-- Michael:  We look at the comps.  [Threatening voice] "If you want, I can call out to the dealers in Hawaii and ask how much a car with your options is worth.  If it is lower, than I WILL LOWER YOUR VALUATION.  Is that what you want?"  Also, our company [CCC] has been in buisness for twenty years and our reports stand up in court.   Take it if you want, but that is it.  I can do the call, USAA rep, do you want me to call the dealers in Hawaii?

--- Krystal [USAA]:  Ok, thanks Michael for your help.

--- Krystal[USAA]:  [To me], sorry that is all we can do.  USAA will follow the valuation report.  Do you have any more questions.  (Then the USAA rep tried to console me stating that is what it is.)

That was the most demeaning conversation I've had with USAA.  Does USAA think they can just bring Michael up and have him threaten USAA members if they don't accept their own valuation report? 

After researching some of the posts about CCC being such a crooked company and compounding with USAA just allowing them to low-ball and then threaten members to accpet their valuation, I felt a need to post this and add to the discussion.

I've spoken with a lawyer I hired and will be re-engagin once my health is a bit better.

It is really sad to hear that others have been also going through the issues I have regarding USAA/CCC.  Like the others, USAA seems to be trying to pay as least as possible like any other company.  And to think USAA keep saying to me "don't worry, we'll take car of you".  Yeah, as long as you keep paying the premiums and don't ask any questions.>

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES

@LOW ACV,

Please refer to our responses to your posts on Facebook and Twitter.  Also, I have forwarded your concerns to the subject matter expert over your claim, and they will be reaching out to you within 2-3 business days.  Thanks~Mike

You're not an isolated incident. If you have a lien you'll need to sign a power of attorney for them to get title. Took them 12 days to tell me that I need to sign it. Can't be send via email. Said they would FedEx it. They haven't supplied a tracking numer that I asked for. I still haven't recieved the paper. Never imigined this could be so difficult. Somehow I need to convey to them that apologies with corrective action are just typed words. Nothing else. 

Hi @LOW ACV,

I've had the same problem.  I had even CCC, the adjuster threaten me to accept his valuation report.  I posted my issues (and pasted it in the reponse below) but agree with you.  Sorry to hear this has happened to you.

Sincerely,

Chris

<I've been a USAA member since 1992.  I have my insurance, banking, mortgages, and investments with USAA since the 1992.  Since my accident and the threat, I feel I should change all my accounts.

I was rear ended by a 70 year old lady traveling at 100 MPH (per police report) on my way to work.  My vehicle was destroyed.  I'm still going through medical rehab.  USAA using CCC has tried to threaten me to accept the valuation for total loss of my car.

The USAA staff member that came out to assess the car initially filed the wrong infomration (ie, had 50k on miles, when I had 29k).  I received at least three follow-on reports, each with issues (missing options).

Then with the final report I called USAA and USAA (Krystal W.) connected with the CCC ONE adjuster, Michael Fernandez.  The following questions/issues discussions I had with Michael and Krystal: 

- Me: My car is in Oahu, why were all the comps found in California (at least 2400 miles away). 

-- Michael:  There is no comps (comparables) on the island.

- Me:  I found at least six when I looked on the internet of dealers selling the same model on Oahu and Maui.

-- Michael:  We look at cars that are sold.  (That is not true since  11-17 of the comps on the report are listed [not sold]).

- Me:  The market for cars are higher on the island than on the mainland.  The comps I found were higher here on the islands.

-- Michael:  We don't look at markets.  We look at value.  Also, the cars on the island have less options than yours. 

- Me:  So, with the additional options I had on my car would increase my value?

-- Michael:  No, it actually would be less because there is no market for your model with your options.  (WHAT?  More options = less value?  No market, but isn't the car based on value [what Michael stated]?)

- Me:  Even on other sites (KKB, Edmonds, etc), the value is higher than what you provided.

-- Michael:  Doesn't matter.  All those online sites in the fine print state the numbers they provide are 10% higher than reality.  We go off the true value that factor in the sold price since sale price is not final price.  (Huh?  [*for the record, I didn't have the market valuation report with me since I called from my rental], but upon returning home and looking at the report, Michael had AUTOTRADER as a source for the comps.  How KKB/EDMONDS/AUTOTRADER/ETC have similar market values and then Michael states CCC does not use it?)

- Me:  How did CCC come up with the valuations? 

-- Michael:  We look at the comps.  [Threatening voice] "If you want, I can call out to the dealers in Hawaii and ask how much a car with your options is worth.  If it is lower, than I WILL LOWER YOUR VALUATION.  Is that what you want?"  Also, our company [CCC] has been in buisness for twenty years and our reports stand up in court.   Take it if you want, but that is it.  I can do the call, USAA rep, do you want me to call the dealers in Hawaii?

--- Krystal [USAA]:  Ok, thanks Michael for your help.

--- Krystal[USAA]:  [To me], sorry that is all we can do.  USAA will follow the valuation report.  Do you have any more questions.  (Then the USAA rep tried to console me stating that is what it is.)

That was the most demeaning conversation I've had with USAA.  Does USAA think they can just bring Michael up and have him threaten USAA members if they don't accept their own valuation report? 

After researching some of the posts about CCC being such a crooked company and compounding with USAA just allowing them to low-ball and then threaten members to accpet their valuation, I felt a need to post this and add to the discussion.

I've spoken with a lawyer I hired and will be re-engagin once my health is a bit better.

It is really sad to hear that others have been also going through the issues I have regarding USAA/CCC.  Like the others, USAA seems to be trying to pay as least as possible like any other company.  And to think USAA keep saying to me "don't worry, we'll take car of you".  Yeah, as long as you keep paying the premiums and don't ask any questions.>

View solution in original post