Roadkillav8r
Contributor

Just wondering if anyone else has noticed that USAA seems to no longer be interested in providing insurance to the military as they once were?  When I first started with USAA in 1983 they went the extra mile to be competitive with their services and pricing on all types of insurance.  25 years ago I bought a house in Texas and was told by USAA that they were not competitive in Texas and I should look elsewhere.  They raised my rates so high in Florida that by switching to ANY other insurance company I was better off.  My auto insurance has risen so high that I can save almost 40% annually just by switching, which I have.  USAA clearly is not interested in being the company they once were.  Maybe if they spent less money on TV advertising they could provide competitive quotes for insurance.

10 REPLIES

@Roadkillav8r, USAA's mission is to serve the financial needs of our members — the men and women in the military community and their families. Our marketing efforts are meant to reach and inform all 60 million members and prospective members about what USAA is and all that it has to offer. But USAA research shows that just under one half of eligible veterans are even aware of USAA. We're always here to assist you with your insurance needs and help with any questions or concerns you have anytime. Thank you for your service and membership! ~ Shane

That is the problem, you want to grow so large that giving the personnal touch and giving a product at a good price for the veteran is no longer the reason for the company to operate, it is all about profit and paying management big bucks and the large company expansion, like it is doing down in Florida. Being a BIG company does not always mean the best company.

@Retired & Concerned, Your concerns are very important to us and we don't want you to feel this way. I'm forwarding your post and information to our Subject Matter Experts for additional review and handling. ~ Shane

After years and years of constant price increases I went shopping for insurance and found one that was 1/2 the price for home owners with the same policy across the board and auto insurance that is between 100-200 dollars less. After 21 years with USAA I decided to change both insurance polices to the other insurance company. I get reduced deductibles of $100.00 a year without any claims. I also get money back every 6 months (when I redo my policy) for good driving habits that I use against the cost of my policy. In one month I already got $139.00 back for good driving. USAA was really the best in past years but after researching and doing comparison, USAA is no longer the choice insurance carrier, especially for people like me who didn't have any claims during my 21 years with USAA.

I am very saddened to read that you decided to go with another insurer. We are always open to any and all feedback. We are also more than happy to assist you with any policy reviews, as well as address any customer service issues. We offer an online option via our click to chat channel, please go to the insurance page > reach a representative or if you prefer, a representative can be reached by phone at 1-800-531-8722 (USAA) or #8722 (USAA) from a cell phone. Thank you.

Nice one, Shane. Check the USAA history logs- 2010/11 marked the shift to sales culture via Bank of America leadership poaching following financial crisis. Greedy capitalism! Good thing the military is a communist organization... ‘Merica?

USAA under Stuart Parker's leadership and his growth at all costs has destroyed USAA.  USAA is not the company they once were.  It is just best to take your business elsewhere.

Your statement hits to mark. You have a person who was not part of the military running an organization that was started by military members to help support those in the military. Management has forgotten where the company came from and who they really support. While Stuart and his management associates rein in more money every year, we the veterans of the country pay more and more for services from USAA. They just want to grow like the big insurance monopolies and do not care about giving the veterans a reasonable product at a reasonable price, those days are gone.

@ wrote:

Your statement hits to mark. You have a person who was not part of the military running an organization that was started by military members to help support those in the military. Management has forgotten where the company came from and who they really support. While Stuart and his management associates rein in more money every year, we the veterans of the country pay more and more for services from USAA. They just want to grow like the big insurance monopolies and do not care about giving the veterans a reasonable product at a reasonable price, those days are gone.

Parker was part of the military (very brief) but not enough to really understand those who were around a lot longer than him (as military members and in many cases USAA members). USAA has opened their products to more people in order to bring in more money to feed the USAA machine. What they have also done is to be more selective of the regions where they want to do business--especially those veterans/military personnel who live in higher risk areas. Their high premiums (or lack of available services) has pushed many of their customers out of the picture. You price your products out of reach and them make it up by pitching them in places with a higher concentration of military. I think that is wrong--especially when USAA's continue's to pitch how much they support military families. I guess you just have to pause the video for commercials to read the small disclaimers to realize that their product promotions come with a lot of stipulations attached.