bouffants
Contributor

Hello, 
I have been with USAA since 2007(?) when I first began driving. At the time I was on my parents insurance. In the past 5 or so years I have moved to my own policy and have become more aware of the increasing costs. In 2016 I purchased my first car, a 2015 Honda Fit with a monthly insurance rate of $160 (full coverage, 500 deductable). I recently sold that car and moved to a 2016 Volkswagen Jetta. When I spoke to USAA in regards to moving my policy to my new(er) car they indicated my new monthly rate would be $190. When I asked why it increased so much they indicated it was because it was a foreign car and the repair parts cost more. I believe Hondas are foreign as well? I increased my deductible to $1000 to make my monthly payment more reasonable. The rep indicated it would be $183ish. I go to make my monthly payment this month and it indicates that my payment is $201 including NCRF CLEAN RISK RECOUP/ALLOC ($35) + NC REINS FAC LOSS RECOUP ($15). I haven't had any speeding tickets, etc in several years. I'm just trying to understand if this is a reasonable monthly cost for auto insurance. I am struggling to afford to have auto insurance with USAA at this point and may need to begin to look for different options for my own financial well-being. Any help/input is much appreciated in regards to this topic. Thank you.

10 REPLIES

@bouffants, I can certainly understand the impact an increase on premium can have on a budget. Please give us a call at 800-531-USAA (8722) or chat with us by selecting help at the top of usaa.com so we can discuss other potential options to save. I have documented your account with my recommendations as well, and the representative will be able to access them  :) Thank you! ~Danielle

Thank you for your response. I really appreciate it.

You're very welcome, @bouffants! I appreciate your bringing this to our attention so we can work together to find a resolution :) We look forward to hearing from you! ~Danielle

I was with USAA over 35 years.  Rates kept increasing.  No accidents, no tickets.  I called to inquire, was told nothing could be done  unless I decreased my coverages.  I called Geico,  got identical coverage for nearly a third less- USAA $201.15, Geico $124.98 per  month.  When I called to cancel with USAA, they did not try to keep me as a customer, like they did not care.

Shop around.

Now I question my home owner's rates, time to check that to.

I was with USAA over 35 years.  Rates kept increasing.  No accidents, no tickets.  I called to inquire, was told nothing could be done  unless I decreased my coverages.  I called Geico,  got identical coverage for nearly a third less- USAA $201.15, Geico $124.98 per  month.  When I called to cancel with USAA, they did not try to keep me as a customer, like they did not care.

Shop around.

Now I question my home owner's rates, time to check that to.

Leave USAA.  When they contact you, all you will do is reduce your coverage.  USAA will not lower your rate without you making concessions.  The best thing for you to do is leave USAA.  Shop around.  You find a better price and far superior customer service as you will not have to deal with a "subject matter expert" who will give you nothing but platitudes and not help you.  And if you do need to file a claim, good luck fighting USAA to get them to pay.  Just look at the posts for other members' experience with USAA.

I’ve had USAA for over 18 years with no tickets or claims for 5 or more years yet my rates have doubled. I called multiple competitors and all were $500 or more less, for equal or better coverage with LOWER deductibles. Sadly I am leaving USAA insurance tomorrow. My other accounts may follow. My rates shouldn’t be subsidizing USAA executives desire to have super bowl ads.
I have had USAA for 18 years and tomorrow I will be leaving as I will be saving $600 every 6 months with a top 4 insurance provider with same or better coverage options and lower deductibles. It is a sad day when I have to leave but my business isn’t for life because you made a commercial to convince to not look elsewhere. Stop spending millions on Super Bowl Ads
I have had USAA for 18 years and tomorrow I will be leaving as I will be saving $600 every 6 months with a top 4 insurance provider with same or better coverage options and lower deductibles. It is a sad day when I have to leave but my business isn’t for life because you made a commercial to convince to not look elsewhere.