Highlighted
Jake511
Contributor

Will USAA be offering these again in the near future?

18 REPLIES

Excellent question, @Jake511 - Since we've identified those opportunities to improve the Extended Vehicle Protection plan, we don't yet have a date to begin offering it again. - Cathleen

Why was it dropped from USAA offerings????? Issue with the product?

@S_W, That's a great question. Our goal is to ensure we are consistently delivering the highest quality products and services to our members. After identifying opportunities to improve Extended Vehicle Protection, USAA has ceased offering until further notice. - Ben

That is NOT reassuring since I recently purchased a EVP. So the product I purchased is not of highest quality? Thanks!

Ben:  You are not answering the question:  In Future, Will USAA provide Extended Vehicle Protection Plans?

@ShadL, Our goal is to ensure we are consistently delivering the highest quality products and services to our members. After identifying opportunities to improve Extended Vehicle Protection, USAA has ceased offering until further notice. -Colleen

Cathleen, I am disappointed that USAA has decided to drop this service.  I have purchased the EVP several times and was looking to purchase again as I am currently in the market for a new car, and was hoping to utilize this service as I go through car buying process.  When do you think a similar service will be available?  

Hi Jake, read all fine print on the vehicle warranty plans, often times they are quite expensive and honestly not worth it. Think, you pay lets say 2,000-2,500 for a plan, what are the chances you are going to recoup that amount, especially given the specific circumstances in which they will cover a repair. You're better off taking that money and saving it for the off chance something goes wrong with your vehicle, than you are buying these plans that call for the sun, moon and stars to align......this coming from someone who has purchased these plans, for two vehicles, to the tune of 4k and did not get any use out of either. Waste in my opinion, but I am not you brother, so do you, just wanted to share an alternative thought. Take care.

USAA cancelled this program without any notice at the end of September, just as I was going to purchase for my new vehicles.  I have used Assurant for my EVP since USAA first offered them and have never had an issue at all.  As a matter of fact I purchased an EVP for $1400 for my last vehicle (which was still under the manufacturer warranty) and had a failure with the pulley on the air conditioner compressor. Long story short, Lincoln would not cover it under their own warranty, but Assurant paid the $1100 bill with no questions asked.  So for $1400 I had an $1100 repair covered, and will have 3 addional years of coverage left when the manufacturer warranty ends. Whether an EVP is good for you or not is dependent on you understanding what it is and is not.  Also if your vehicle is say 9 years old and has almost 100k miles on it, then there may be some restrictions on what will be covered, but who owns cars that long anymore.  EVP's are perfect for that 2-3 years that happen after most manufacturers warranties end, and as I've shown those can be very exclusive as well.   Plus Assurant's prices were in all cases the best available (including those offered by dealers and the other providers prevelent in TV and radio ads.  My guess is USAA dropped this program because they were losing money on it, so I wouldn't hold my breath to see if they bring it back.