Tamcwill
Contributor

I have been a member with USAA since 2015. In the past, I felt proud of the service I received, and the compassion they showed for military personnel and their families. Recently, that has all changed, and it was a complete slap in the face. My experience was so horrible, that I've been telling my other family members to leave USAA asap.

I've had my car insurance with them since 2015. Unfortunately, towards the end of 2018, I fell on hard times, and could barely afford to pay my insurance. My policy was cancelled in October 2018. Prior to this, I was doing everything I could to attempt to salavge it. I called, spoke to reps, and one suggested I set up autopay, which I did. Once my policy was cancelled for non payment, I received a letter, stating they have discontinued the recurrent payment plan for my insurance.

Low and behold, on January 2, 2019, imagine my suprise when my USAA checking account was debited almsot $300. I called, asking that they reverse it, and put the money in my account, because obviously, the policy was cancelled. I spoke with numerous reps, who transferred me, gave me advice that didnt make sense, and abruptly inform me that they wont be reversing the payment, because it's money owed to them.

Okay, I'm not disputing it's money owed. However, that autopay was supposed to be cancelled, once my policy was cancelled. How can you justify taking that money out 3 months later? To add insult to injury, I explained that I'm a federal government employee. Currently, we are on shutdown, so I have no clue when I'll get paid again. I need that money that was taken from me. It could literally mean the difference of me eating or not. And still, the manager, (Matt), that finally returned my call explained they would not be refunding me the money.

The way it was dealt with was so shady and insensitive. I will never recommend this company to anyone. I've been feeling disgusted by the entire thing.

1 REPLY

@Tamcwill, I can certainly understand how difficult this all must be for you at this time. Thank you for taking time out of your day to communicate with USAA. I am forwarding your information and post to our Subject Matter Experts for further review and handling. ~ Shane