Chels164
Contributor

1. What is the amount saved on an insurance policy after taking a defensive driving course? 

2. Why are members penalized for incidents that are out of their control when it comes to coverage pricing?

Thanks all

3 REPLIES

Hello, @Chels164. Great questions! Thank you for reaching out via the USAA Community! I would be happy to address your concerns: 

1. The acceptability and amount of savings resulting from taking a Defensive Driving Course can vary from state to state. You can actually look into this in most situations by accessing your quote or policy on USAA.com and adding that information in to your driver details. Additionally, we would be glad to review this with you via chat on USAA.com by clicking on the Help tab or by dialing 800-531-8722.
  2. It's not so much about intention, but rather what the incident information says. If a claim or incident is considered not at-fault "on paper," then it would not be surcharged on your policy. Conversely, if a claim or incident is considered at-fault "on paper," then it is to be surcharged and may be included in the risk rating of your policy. I certainly understand the impact either can have. 

I hope this information is helpful! Please, let us know if you have any other inquiries or concerns. Thank you for your membership! ~ Steven 

I was given minimul information by a representative regarding a request for a review of my premium based on extraordinary circumstances, however I cannot find any information on how to submit the written requestion anywhere. Can you provide that information to me? Even the representative I spoke to tried looking into it for me and could not find more information on what should be included and where the request should be sent. 

@Chefs164, I was able to send you a private message with information regarding your question on how to submit a written request about an extraordinary circumstance. I truly appreciate your membership and the opportunity to help. We're always here if you have any additional questions or concerns. Thank you! ~ Shane