Daughter needs a vehicle since she totaled her car!!!

Highlighted
Contributor

Hello there!  We are USAA member's as is my daughter.  She totaled her car recently and now needs a car.  I have a car that I am willing to give her, however, I have a loan on it through USAA.  What I owe is about $13,800.  The car is selling for more than that on car lots but I am willing to sell it to her for $13,000.  We plan to get her a loan of $11,000 from USAA.  The car is in Florida right now and licensed in Texas.  We have it "garaged" since we are not using it.  I would like to know if I can sell her the car and if so how do we get it titled/registered/etc in Virginia where she is stationed?

The car is in very good condition and well worth the loan amount of $11,000.  She should get money from back from the settlement on her car that is a total loss and with that and what I contribute would be enough to pay off my loan balance and get her a loan of $11,000.

How would this work?  

I would have the car shipped to her in Norfolk, VA

1 REPLY

Highlighted

Hi Navygirl90!

Thank you for your question about selling your car to your daughter. I’m sorry to hear about your daughter’s auto accident and hope she’s ok.

You’re welcome to sell your USAA financed vehicle at anytime as we don't charge any fees for early payoff. To obtain an up to date payoff quote, I recommend using the payoff quote feature located within your loan’s summary page under “I want to”. Before USAA can release your title or lien documents, the full payoff amount will need to be received.

Regarding your question about “how do we get it titled/registered/etc, in Virginia where she is stationed?”, when your daughter contacts USAA to discuss her financing opportunities, we’ll provide her with titling instructions at that time.

If you’d like to learn more about your current title status, please call us at 210-531-USAA (8722), our mobile shortcut #8722 or 800-531-8722. If you prefer, please send us an email through our online Message Center. Thank you again for allowing us to help serve your financial needs! ~ Stacy