Brooklynarmybrat
Contributor

Let me start by saying, I am usually one to sing USAA's praises. So much so that when it was time for my younger sister to purchase a new car my brother and I instructed her to go through USAA for everything. She is in her second year of college and needs something reliable, her previous car has broken down on her numerous times and she had finally had enough. She was able to get a small loan from USAA ! So far so good ... she begins her car search very excited. She find a car that not only meets all her needs but, is also in her price range and if things couldn't get any better it was at a USAA dealership .

she goes through the necassary motions paperwork, preinspection and the car is now hers ! Fast forward two weeks and her car completely shut down, it will not even light up when the key is inserted into the ignition. She calls the dealership where she purchased the car from and he tells her to have Toyota look at it to see if there is some sort of recall and if they can fix it . No recall, no fix but she is now down 160 dollars for the service check and that's not to mention the car it self. The one fortunate thing that came about taking the car to Toyota is that they were able to give her a full report on anything that has ever happened to the car . Here's the part that really aggravates me as we are going through the report we begin to see many descrenpencias between the Toyota report and the car fax from the dealer. That was only the beginning of the shady practices we soon uncovered.

The dealer then tells her there is nothing he can do, and that she should have purchased the warranty. He then hand her a pamphlet(2 weeks later) with the different levels of warranties available. She has no pamphlet like this in her original paperwork and was never even shown the different options. The dealer proceeds to tell her well I just sold you the lower option because you said you didn't want to spend that much ....so he never even gave her the option. I was floored at his inability to see what an incompetent salesman/owner he was. While I know USAA is not solely to blame Iam extremely disappointed that this establishment is able to have a USAA CERTIFIED logo on their website. When you see certified you know that something holds some sort of merit for example, if someone is a certified personal trainer they have met all of the requirements and qualitifictions to instruct someone on how to properly train and condition there body or when you have a certified letter it has been document and can be proven if need...I think you see where I'm going with this unfortunately that is not the case when you see USAA CERTIFIED dealer it holds no sort of merit, it seems as though any Joe schmo with a car lot can become a USAA certified dealer and that's very unfortunate, because as a member of USAA since 2008 they are not providing anything close to the service a member is used to expierencing or expecting. 

7 REPLIES

Brooklynarmybrat, your membership and feedback are important to us, and we're sorry to hear about your sister's experience with her new car. We'd be happy to help look into this for you. Please have your sister contact us at 800-531-8722 our hours are Monday to Friday - 7:30 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. and Saturday - 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. or she may send us an email by logging in to usaa.com, select her name in the upper right side of the page and click on Alerts and Actions. Thank you for the opportunity to look into this for you.

I agree
I just left the dealer on yesterday
Morris auto sales in belton mo
Get the car home. The car was for my 16 year old son. The ABS brake lights and brake lights are on. Will give them to Monday tro respond to the problem.
USAA need to do better homework with these dealerships!

tiff12, oh no! I hope the issue gets resolved quickly for you and your son. I will be sure to pass this feedback on to our car buying service team. We appreciate your membership. -Meredith

The dealer is working with me to get this resolved
I will be in touch asap to let everyone know on this community forum.

Thanks for the update, tiff12! Please do reach out if you need assistance. -Cynthia

Morris Auto sales in Belton Mo
Resolved all our issues!

Hi tiff12, I'm glad to hear the dealer was able to resolve your situation. If you we can be of any further assistance, please let us know. Thank you and have a great day. - Ben