Regular Contributor

Dear fellow members,

On September 11, 2018, I was involved in a car accident and my vehicle was deemed a total loss. I attempted to file the claim with the at fault person's insurance but they were dragging their feet and giving me the run around. Therefore, I called USAA to get a rental and start the claim process. My adjuster explained that USAA will go after the at fault's person insurance to recover any funds disbursed as a result of my claim. Feeling a weight lifted, I proceeded with the process and it seemed like a painless process until three (3) days ago. On Friday, I was notified that my car was deemed a total loss and I was transferred to the Total Loss Department, at that point, things went left quick and it's been down hill since.

When I originally purchased my vehicle, I purchased GAP insurance (GAP insurance covers ANY negative equity that is left in the vehicle after the primary insurance company pays the current cash market value for the vehicle). In addition, I elected to have Car Replacement Assistance (CRA pays 20% of the actual cash value of the vehicle) thinking it would help with a downpayment for a new vehicle in the event my vehicle was totaled. Fast forward to today..... USAA called me with the market value of my car and I noticed that it was higher than the actual cash value that was quoted to me. When I asked the claims representative why it was so much higher, she told me that they had applied my CAR REPLACEMENT ASSISTANCE to the loan company's payout because I still had negative equity in the vehicle. Why would they do this when I already had GAP insurance that would have covered ANY negative equity over the actual cash value of the vehicle? 

The way that CRA is marketing to USSA members is misleading and is a fraudulent inducement to contract. CRA is marketed as an additional benefit for the member, however the only entity that benefits from my dollar is the financial institutions.

The coverage clearly states:

Car Replacement Assistance

Car Replacement Assistance pays 20% above the actual cash value of your vehicle for Comprehensive or Collision coverage in the event of a total loss.

When choosing this feature, remember that buying a new vehicle is likely to cost more than the actual cash value of your current vehicle.

Car Replacement Assistance is different than gap coverage. Gap coverage pays the difference between your vehicle's ACTUAL CASH VALUE and the balance of the loan. Car Replacement Assistance pays 20% above the value of your vehicle, regardless of your loan balance.

By applying my CRA to the loan USAA is totally ignoring the fact that I have GAP insurance in place. Why even call it Car Replacement Assistance when the only people you are assisting are the BIG banks!! To add insult to injury, I was directed to return my rental by 9/21/2018. Now, I have no vehicle and no way to come up with a downpayment for a new vehicle and I have to now come out of pocket to cover a rental until I can find funds to purchase a new vehicle.

I DID EVERYTHING RIGHT, YET I AM BEING PENTALIZED FOR SOMEONE ELSES NEGLIENCE AND TO ADD INSULT TO INJURY MY INSURANCE COMPANY IS REFUSING TO HONOR THE CRA THAT IS INCLUDED IN MY POLICY!  

USAA, Where is the replacement assistance that I paid for?

17 REPLIES

@PrettyNikki35, I am terribly sorry to hear about your experiences with your auto claim so far. I have located your information and I am escalating this to a subject matter expert. Please allow them 2-3 business days to review your situation and reach out to you. Thank you.

• Reply:ii RI received a call from Angelica a Member of your Management Team on Thursday, September 20, 2018, she stated she would look into a few thing and call me back by Friday.... I AM STILL WAITING!!!

USAA has not paid my lienholder, however I was kicked out of the rental car. This practice is unethical, how can you honestly say you are serving your members when you are creating undue hardships. I don't have a vehicle because my vehicle was totaled by a negligent driver, now you want me to use money I don't have to rent a car because I can't go finance a car while still owing on the totaled vehicle. Sure, I can secure a loan but the interest rate will be high because my debt to income ratio will be to high because the totaled vehicle is still showing on my credit report and when you call the lienholder they reported no payments from USAA to date. this has been a horrible experience.

USAA keep saying they are sorry for my experience, however USAA has made ZERO attempts to rectify the situation with extending my rental car, paying me MY car replacement assistance, and now payment of my leinholder.

It has been fourteen (14) days since the motor vehicle accident and eleven (11) since my vehicle was deemed a total loss. Why hasn't my leinholder been paid? Why wasn't my rental extended? How does an insured customer walk away with literally NOTHING!!!!

Pay my leinholder the cash value of my vehicle and pay me my car replacement assistance so that I can move on with my life. I am literally stuck (UNABLE TO MOVE ON)....because USAA has suffocated me with red tape and bureaucracy.

Stop stalling me and have someone contact me who has the authority to make decisions and provide a firm answer because leaving me in limbo is UNACCEPTABLE.

Respectfully submitted,

Nakia

: Reply: 
Consumer Financial Protection Bureau
1 (855) 411-2372
https://www.consumerfinance.gov
consumerfinance.gov/complaint/

The Consumer Financial Protection Bureau is a U.S. government agency that makes sure banks, lenders, and other financial companies treat you fairly.

For legal assistance visit the Legal Services Corporation website: lsc.gov.

Thank you for your response. I will definetly contact them on tomorrow.

On September 11, 2018, I was rear ended by a neglient driver.

On September 14, 2018, USAA deemed my vehicle to be a total loss.

On September 17, 2018, USAA went over the settlement offer with me and sent me paperwork to sign off on and FED EX back to their office.

On September 19, 2018, I signed the Power of Attorney (P.O.A.) that USSA sent AND I went to the collision shop to have the vehicle released to USAA. USAA is now in possession of the vehicle and keys. On the same date, I was informed, I would have to return the rental on September 21, 2018.

On September 20, 2018, I received a phone call from USAA's Executive Management Team, she stated she would pass my concerns on to management and give me a call back. To date, I have received no calls from USAA, however they comment on message boards (don't believe what they post, its their attempt at DAMAGE CONTROL).

On September 21, 2018, I returned the rental car per USAA's directive.

On September 24, 2018, I received a message from USAA via the claim message board. The message reads, "USAA needs your signed vehicle title in order to transfer ownership of our vehicle. Payment will be sent within two business days of receipt.

**** No leinholder is going to release a title without payment first *****

I have been in constant contact with USAA and I've done everything they have asked me to do within 24 hours yet, I can not get a simple call. However, they do have time to respond to messages on the message board and claim center.

USAA's slow response has affected me in the following ways:

1.  I have no vehicle (I gave them the totaled vehicle and keys).

2. I am now PAYING for a rental because USAA directed me to return the rental last week.

3. My vehicle is still not paid off and my next payment is coming up in a week. Therefore, I will have to make another payment which lessens the amount GAP owes.

4.  USAA has not paid my leinholder, therefore GAP won't issue a payment because they need proof of amount my primary insurance company has paid.

5. Unable to finance a new vehicle because the totaled vehicle is still on my credit report with a LARGE outstanding balance (car was less than a year old).

6. I was offered a car loan at a high interest rate because my debit to income ratio is high (mortgage, 2 auto loans, student loans) all on a single parent salary. This rate WILL decrease if USAA pay off my current vehicle.

To sum it all up.....I literally walked away from this accident with NOTHING but heart ache and pain!! Mind you I did not cause the accident and the at fault person's insurance company will reimburse USAA, which means USAA will recoup everything they pay out.

USAA is causing me an undue hardship!! I can not afford to pay $183.54 weekly for a rental and pay my leinholder $532.00 for my monthly payment until USAA decideds to settle my claim.

USAA's indifference to my repeated request for information is insensitive and offensive. I should NOT have to fight this hard with MY insurance company. I am simply asking you to do your job, nothing more!!!

USAA's indifference to my repeated request for information is insensitive and offensive.

Highlighted
Consumer Financial Protection Bureau
1 (855) 411-2372
https://www.consumerfinance.gov
The Consumer Financial Protection Bureau is a U.S. government agency that makes sure banks, lenders, and other financial companies treat you fairly.

Federal Trade Commission / Military Task Force
1-877-FTC-HELP (382-4357)
ftc.gov/militarytaskforce
The FTC launched a web page highlighting the work of the agency’s new Military Task Force, which is aimed at identifying the needs of military consumers and developing initiatives to empower servicemembers, veterans, and their families, including through law enforcement actions.

Please update this once everything settles in the dust. I am having a similar issue. 

I will definetly keep you guys posted.

nothing has changed since my last post except, I am still paying (literally) for USAA's failure to pay. See the below correspondence as it relates to where we are today... Almost thirty (30) days later and I am still begging these tards to do their job!!

• PrettyNikki35

October 8, 2018 at 8:34 a.m. CT

The payment center is showing a date of 10/3/2018 as the date this payment was processed, however it was just posted to the claim center today 10/08/2018. Please provide me with the date payment was sent to Santander so that I can follow up. In addition, I would like to receive the full FedEx tracking number to track the package.

• New Post.

Reply: xxxx

October 8, 2018 at 11:10 a.m. CT

The funds were requested on 10/3/18 it would have been mailed that day and arrived the next day barring any unforeseen circumstances. I will follow up with the tracing information as it is not readily available but I will look into providing it.

• New Post.

Reply: xxxxx

October 8, 2018 at 1:35 p.m. CT

I am not sure why but it hasn't been mailed yet and they should receive it by tomorrow. If they need any confirmation of payment have them contact us.

• Reply: PrettyNikki

PrettyNikki35

October 8, 2018 at 9:18 p.m. CT

Adan, Again, the lack of urgency is unacceptable. On Wednesday, October 3, 2018, I was told the check would be processed and overnight to Santander. Fast forward to tonight (9:00 PM), October 8, 2018 and it is still 'NOT CLEARED' despite the fact that your above correspondence states it will be mailed out today and should be received tomorrow by Santander. It has been twenty-eight days since the accident and twenty-five days since my vehicle was declared a total loss. Where is the accountability when it comes to USAA staff failing to do their job. How many times will this process be delayed due to someone failing to do their job. How much money do I have to spend out of pocket before this is resolved? USAA's failure to pay is also delaying my GAP insurance payment to Santander. In addition, I will have to pay another car payment due to USAA's failure to pay Santander. Again, the delays I am experiencing with USAA is costing me money daily and is unacceptable!!!!!!! Several weeks ago, I was told that the Executive Management Team would review my claim and someone would contact me to discuss my concerns, to date, I have not received that call. On last week, Heather stated that she would be asking management to review the time frame as it relates to the delays I've experienced during the claim process and request someone call me back. To date, I have not received a call, yet the delays and service continues to decline. Please provide me with a firm answer as to the status of payment.

Moderators note: Post has been edited due to Member Community posting guidelines