Highlighted
Contributor

I was extremely disappointed to find out that the USAA Car Buying Service was being discontinued as of 30 September.  I am a "frequent flyer" of the service, having purchased five out of my last six vehicles with the service.  I would have purchased another next month, had I not discovered the service was ending through a banner on the website.  No heads up and the only explanation given was USAA is "streamlining" their business.  Having worked for a megacorp after my military retirement, I recognize this term as management speak used when one drops a program that may have been popular, but was not contributing to the bottom line.

Just another indication that USAA is becoming less interested in standing out from the vast crowd of other insurers.

6 REPLIES

Highlighted

Hello Oregon and thank you so much for taking the time to share your feedback with us regarding the discontinuation of our Car Buying Service. When this decision was made it was part of an ongoing effort to simplify and streamline our business and focus on our core products and services. By focusing on our core products and services this will allow us to better execute and deliver on our mission to facilitate the financial security of our members. We will definitely make sure to forward this important feedback you've provided us to the appropriate department for review and consideration as we continue to enhance our products and service. Thank you!

Highlighted

In case other members here in community also have questions about the Car Buying Service ending, here is a link to the FAQ page with additional details. https://www.usaa.com/my/car-buying-selling/faq

Thank you for taking the time to comment. 

Highlighted

This is disppointing news.  I used the service for all my vehicles since 2012.  I'm a "frequent flyer" too.  Will USAA be able to point members to a replacement service?  

Highlighted

@USPHS CAPT, I'm sorry to hear of your disappointment regarding the car buying service. We certainly value your feedback and will ensure it is forwarded to the appropriate department for further review. We will continue to be here to assist with your car buying needs. At this time we do not a replacement service available to provide. Thank you. ~ Robyn E.

Highlighted

Consumer Reports has a car buying service with the same company, Truecar.

Be aware there many complaints that they don't give you a firm price anymore, it is a referral service for dealers now, and your phone and e-mail will be deluges. I don't know how good a deal you can get now.

Highlighted

Don't be too disappointed.  Most credit unions offer the same service, and as Bill From Idaho points out, the "Buying Service" is really just a dealer referral service.  You can usually do better negotiating on your own, if that's your thing.