CCC Evaluation of totaled vehicle: Third Party Vendor USAA uses to value your totaled car.

S351
Contributor

I have been with USAA for over 15 years. I moved my auto, home, and banking to them in 2008. My wife have been with them for over 25 years. Recently, I was hit by an unisured motorist and my truck was first determined to be repairable at a cost of $8300 (less than 60% of the assessed value). Then a few days later i was contacted and told they found more damage and that it was going to be totaled (It has crossed past the 60% but was not at 75% so the body shop had to send a recommendation to USAA). A few days later I was contacted with an offer on my truck of of $9,449.90. Nada on the truck with mileage and options is $13,000. Nada doesn't take into account the upgrade that were performed to the truck to extend its life. I correct a factory ford defect at a cost of $4500 that extends the life of the truck. Every Ford truck with the 6.0 diesel will require this fix usually before 150k miles. I aksed to see how CCC came up with the value. The comps they used were not even the same model truck, same engine, nor the same body style. Mine was a fully loaded F350 diesel with every option. The trucks they were comparing mine to were base option trucks that were less desirable. The comps they used were also outside of my region in areas where trucks are typically cheaper. When I contacted USA they simply stated they had to rely on the data provided by the vendor but, they would ask them to relook the data. For the second eval they again pulled trucks that were not legitimate comps and again, not in the region I live in. Additionally, I had pulled comps within a 200 mile radius of my home and had no trouble finding trucks with the exact same options on both dealer lots and private individuals. I up loaded those that I found. One has to ask why I coul find real comps and a company whose job is to find them could not. My hobby is collecting cars and I have been dealing with insurance companies, auctions, body shops, and appraisers for almost 30 years. In my experience companies don't miss the ball like this unless it is intentional. I researched the vendor USAA is using (CCC) and they have been the subject of several lawsuits for the very same practice. With the difference in value they know a lawyer will cost more than what the difference is so they figure you will settle. I always been one for the principle of the deal so I'm the wrong person to apply that thought to. I would never have thought USAA would retain the services of a company with a reputation as such. USAA's reputation and service is the primary reason i have been with them for years. This one incident has caused me to question what I have been paying for. If I'm going to be treated this way I might as well go with the cheaper fly by night insurance companies.

2 REPLIES

@S351, I am terribly sorry to hear about the damage to your vehicle and your concerns with the total loss value. I have located your information and I am escalating this to a subject matter expert. They will research your situation and reach out to you. Thank you.

As you can see by all of the posts and by your experience, USAA is just not the company they once were.  Leave USAA and never look back.