i donated my car. I need to fill out the Title Transfer Form before giving it to the charity firm.
Besides my Signature, Odometer, Date; what else do I need for my protection?


Hi Aiko,


Here is some information I found about donating your vehicle.


Motor Vehicle Department Donation Procedures

Just as if you were selling your car as a private party, when you donate your car to charity, you'll need to satisfy some requirements with your state's motor vehicle division. Some common processes you'll likely need to complete include:

  • Completing a title transfer.
  • Canceling your registration.
  • Completing a notice of transfer/release of liability form. 

The exact steps you'll need to take will vary from state to state. Check with your state's DMV office for specific requirements and details. 

NOTE: In addition to DMV requirements, you'll also need to cancel your car insurance policy. 

Notice of Transfer/Release of Liability

Be sure to visit our guide about Title Transfers to learn how to transfer the title over. You may also need to complete a notice of transfer or release of liability form. 

Canceling Your License Plates and Registration

The laws for this vary by state. Some states require surrendering the vehicle's license plates to the DMV. Others require submitting a sold notice, and there are a few states that require no formal notification at all.



Here are some Californias specific instructions:

  • Provide the title of the vehicle, making sure to sign it (if you don't have the title, apply for a duplicate title).
  • Have the lienholder, if applicable, sign off on the title. This allows the sale of the vehicle.
  • Complete the odometer reading if the vehicle is less than 10 years old (must be verified by the buyer) and submit the Vehicle/Vessel Transfer (REG 262). This form is unavailable online. Grab it from any CA DMV office, or call (800) 777-0133 to have it mailed to you.
  • Have the buyer, which in this case is the recipient of the vehicle, sign the title.
  • Complete the Notice of Transfer and Release of Liability (REG 138) within 5 days of the title transfer date.

I hope this helps!


Thank you!

Dear Briana,

Thank you for your reply I just found it today. I contacted the Charity a while ago and they were very helpful. Everything you posted here was done just like you wrote. Although I did not read your message before I donated my car,  I hope other members took your advise. More power to you and USAA.

I wish i was around i have 2 kids in need of a car do you have anymore 8162873910