Manuwhale
Contributor

Hi everyone,

To start off I'm 19 and I'm currently active duty.

I got stationed in Puerto Rico a few months ago and I went out to go and buy a car. I got approved for a loan through USAA, found a car I liked, did the entire process at the dealership and even drove the car off the lot. 

A couple weeks after that they called me to say that they cant get my name on the title because in Puerto Rico to be considered an adult and to sign a contract you have to be 21. So I had to return the car. 

My question is, is it possible for me to buy a car in Florida, where my mom lives, using a loan from USAA and then pay to ship it out here to Puerto Rico? Im not in a desperate need of a car right now but I will be in a few months. I can't purchase a car registered in PR because of what was stated above. Does USAA usually allow vehicles to be sent overseas? I don't want to buy a car in Florida and then be stuck with a payment if I can't get it out here.

Tags (2)

4 REPLIES

Hi @Manuwhale, thank you for reaching out, and for your service. You bring up some great questions. As your situation is a little unique, I would recommend reaching out to a loan officer here. This will ensure you get the best answers, and the best guidance for what you would like to accomplish. When you can, give us a call at 1-800-531-8722, or you can start a live chat through your USAA.com account (or the USAA app) using the Help option. I hope this helps, and good luck! ~Holland

@ wrote:

Hi @, thank you for reaching out, and for your service. You bring up some great questions. As your situation is a little unique, I would recommend reaching out to a loan officer here. This will ensure you get the best answers, and the best guidance for what you would like to accomplish. When you can, give us a call at 1-800-531-8722, or you can start a live chat through your USAA.com account (or the USAA app) using the Help option. I hope this helps, and good luck! ~Holland

Thanks for replying.

I've actually found it nearly impossible to start a live chat on your website. It's kind of like calling and you get sent through an automated menu where you have to press the keypad for any response only to get told via a robot you have to call someone. I know calling will work but if the option of a live chat is there I feel like it should be an actual live chat. Another thing too is that I've been trying at least once a week for the past couple of months to get a renters/property insurance quote on the USAA website too and it never works. I've called about that too and I've been told to just give it a few hours and try again. 

@Manuwhale, I am sorry your having difficulty with the Chat option. Based on what you have disclosed in your original post, I do believe the best assistance would be with our Lending Solutions area. I know it is not as easy as chat but a phone call will get all your questions answered. Here is the number to contact us from Puerto Rico. 1-800-531-8722. Thank you for your service! ~ Suzy

Don't do it. You might be sent to Korea or Afghanistan all of the sudden and that car will be stuck in Florida or in Puerto Rico getting rain amd sun. Just wait till you are stabilized somewhere then buy a car Cash. First mistake of any soldier is buy a car they can't use!