I am purchasing a handicap assessable van for my son who has muscular dystrophy.  The van cost $72,000 and I was going to put down $10,000, but USAA would only loan me $50,000.  I have had several loans with USAA and have never had this problem.  I went to a local credit   union and had not problem getting a loan for $62,000.  Why does USAA have a $50,000 limit on auto loans? 

1 REPLY

Congratulations on your upcoming purchase! In the past, USAA took measures to reduce our lending limits due to possible recession. However, as of January 30th, USAA changed the lending limits for auto loans to a maximum lendable amount of $150,000. I understand you have gone to a local credit union, and you've obtained a loan for $62,000, however, if you would like to see if USAA can offer you financing, you may apply online at anytime by going to Products, then choose Auto Loans. If you would rather apply over the phone, please call us at 1-800-531-8722 or 210-531-8722 or #8722 from a mobile device. Our normal business hours are Monday-Friday 6 a.m. to 10 p.m. CT, Saturday 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. CT, Sunday 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. CT. I hope you find this information to be helpful, and we look forward to hearing from you soon.