Auto Loan approved UP TO, do I need to use all?

PatArmy
Contributor

I am approved for an auto loan for UP TO $25,700. 25,000 was what I originally applied for, but it turns out I do not need the full amount. My application is pending still, because I have not chosen my preferred installment period (72 r 84 months).
My question is, can I proceed to pick the 72 month payment plan and officially get the loan but use only a fraction of that $25,700 loan? I only need about $10,000. Can I then pick my vehicle, use the 10K I need and will USAA then only cut a check for that to send to the dealer? Will I have to worry about the remaining $15,700?

6 REPLIES

Hello and thank you for your inquiry concerning the final terms for your pre-approved auto loan. I can confirm that you do not have to use the entire amount you were approved for. In order for you to select the 72 month term there is a minimum financed amount required. To confirm and finalize the terms for your loan, please contact our consumer lending department at 210-531-USAA (8722), our mobile shortcut #8722 or 800-531-8722. Our business hours are Monday through Friday 6:30am-10:00pm CT and Saturday 8:00am - 6:00pm CT. Thank you and we look forward to speaking with you! - Darrell

I can finish finalizing on my own, correct?  I won't be able to contact USAA until Monday morning, and I am going to go purchase the car Monday Morning 9AM EST.  I just want to make sure I have everything ready for when I go in to finalize my purchase.

Also, does the loan matter if it was for a New or Used car, or does it apply to both?  I got the loan intending to buy a new car, but decided to cut back and get a slightly used car of a different model.

Also, how much "minimum finance amount" is required to harness the 72 month auto loan?  Like a 20% downpayment, is that what that term means?

Thank you.

Hello. You can finalize your terms on your own online. However I would recommend that you wait until you speak with us on Monday. It can matter if the purchase is for a new or used vehicle based on the annual percentage rate, loan to value ratio we determine, and what term is available. As I shared previously, you will need to confirm with our consumer lending department the minimum finance amount to obtain the 72 month term. Our business hours on Monday are 6:30am-10:00pm CT. Thanks and we look forward to speaking with you! - Darrell

The check from USAA is electronic so the amount is an up to amount only. You don't have to use the full amount.

You are correct. You do not have to use the full amount! - Darrell

Awesome, thank you all for your responses. I will make sure to wait until I talk to a rep tomorrow.
Have a good rest of the weekend.