Anyone finance through USAA with low credit score?

Can't find my socks
Occasional Contributor

I had a auto loan through USAA back in 2011 and paid it off last July, my score back in august was 450, I was baffled why it was so low. I had made a few late payments though. I tried to finance a new vehicle back in September and was denied and I saw that coming. Since august I have corrected a lot of information and done my best at improving my score and I'm sitting at a 610. My financial situation now is much better than it was when I had my late payments. I know I can get financed with other lenders but I'm curious if staying with USAA is an option. I'm afraid I'll get denied or a terrible rate compared to others. Does anyone else have any expirences with this? I also see a lot of negative things about financing with usaa. Kinda think jumping off the band wagon as well.

5 REPLIES

Can't find my socks, We appreciate your interest in financing another vehicle with USAA. We consider many factors when reviewing loan applications, such as your credit profile, ability to repay debt and payment history. I applaud your effort to improve your financial situation. One of the benefits of your USAA membership is free, expert advice from our licensed financial advisors. These experts are trained to discuss debt management and credit concerns. I invite you to speak with one of our financial advisors by calling 1-800-531-8722. Financial advisors are available Monday through Friday from 7:30 a.m. until 10:00 p.m. CT and on Saturday from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. CT. ~Darcy

I had a similar situation. They referred me to their online partner lender for a $10,000 car. The application is still in limbo 2 1/2 years now. I used their car buying service to find another vehicle and walked into the dealership and ended up buying 2 vehicles total loan amount $75,000. Paying them off as agreed.
I was in a similar situation. I got a loan through USAA at a horrible rate due to credit issues. I am a 23 year customer with USAA. I then refinanced it at a credit union that I had ZERO relationship with and saved over $100 a month in interest payments. USAA told me I had to go through the same application process even though they already had my loan and a 23 year history. Go to a credit union. Also don't bother with the USAA credit counseling. They tell you the basics and try to sell you services. It's a joke

Kcourto, thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us. We strive to meet the needs of our membership but realize there may be instances where we are unable to do so. Your feedback will be shared with our team regarding the products and services offered. Thank you. - Rhonda

Thank you for the replies. I'm dissipointed in the reviews and rates. I'll keep USAA in mind but I don't think they are competitive in this area.