JohnnyBGoode
Contributor

I am interested in opening a 5, 11, and 13 year-old saving accounts. What's the best accounts?

Most Helpful

JohnnyBGoode, I recommend you shop around. You can find better rates and offers for youth accounts--and get bonus money for bringing in family members. I initially had my kids here but moved them to my credit union and they got much better rates and offerings. Good luck.

4 REPLIES

@JohnnyBGoode, Sounds like a perfect plan to get the little ones started on saving.

We offer a Youth Savings account as well as a Youth Spending (Checking account w/a Debit Card) I recommend both, so the kiddos can learn to manage money they may receive as gifts or allowance.

To open an account online, you'll first need to have the child listed under your membership as an associated person, Child, Grandchild, etc.

To do this, select your Profile drop down and select Add Family Member, located in Profile & Preferences options. Once they are listed under your membership, you may submit the application for the deposit accounts by selecting the account type from the Banking options under the Products tab. 

The great thing about our Youth Spending Account and Debit Card is that it will allow you to view purchases and account activity & provide them a safer place to keep their money besides their slippery hands or pockets :) The convenience of being able to get funds to them when you may not be near them (off for summer break, etc) is as easy as transferring funds w/our mobile app or voice-line. If this is of interest to you, you will see both options under our Products tab, Banking options. Thank you for your membership and choosing USAA for your financial needs. ~ Lori

JohnnyBGoode, I recommend you shop around. You can find better rates and offers for youth accounts--and get bonus money for bringing in family members. I initially had my kids here but moved them to my credit union and they got much better rates and offerings. Good luck.

Don't do it here, internet saving bank pays a much higher interest rate.  Try Discover Bank!

Sugur - Sorry to hear this, but we appreciate the feedback. Your comments will help us improve future service. - Jason