Why does USAA decline payments when I use my debit card for items that are worth a couple thousand dollars?

Highlighted
qazwsx
Occasional Contributor

Why do I have to call them to clear payment every time I make a big purchase?

Most Helpful

Another convenient feature on our mobile app or via our website, is the option to Notify USAA of a Large Purchase. This can be found when you are logged into your account page, from the MENU option via the app or Account Services area on USAA.com. This will help to prevent declines on purchases for any amount within the daily purchase limits on your card. Hope this helps! ~ Lori 

4 REPLIES

@qazwsx, our intention is not to inconvenience our members. We do impose daily limits on our debit cards and this may require that you contact us to raise the limits if needed. I'd be happy to review your recent transactions to determine if this was the case for you. Please send a Private Message to us with additional details. Thank you. - Rhonda

Why are there daily limits on my card? Why can I not spend what I want when I want without having to get bank authorization? How do I remove these limits?

@qazwsx, we place limits on our debit cards for your protection in the event your card is lost or stolen. The daily limits are as follows:

ATM cash withdrawal:          $600

Cash advance:                     $1,000

Debit purchase:                   $3,000

Debit purchase with PIN:     $3,000

If you will need to make a purchase or withdrawal that exceeds these amounts you may increase your limits temporarily through our mobile app, via chat or by calling for assistance. Transactions that fall within the limits do not require preauthorization. I hope this information is helpful for you. Thank you for reaching out to us regarding your concerns. - Rhonda

Another convenient feature on our mobile app or via our website, is the option to Notify USAA of a Large Purchase. This can be found when you are logged into your account page, from the MENU option via the app or Account Services area on USAA.com. This will help to prevent declines on purchases for any amount within the daily purchase limits on your card. Hope this helps! ~ Lori