Why do I need to fill out a W9? I've been with USAA for 30+ years, you have my SSN, so why ask for it on this form?

JohnPaul1
Contributor

I've reviewed the FAQ section regarding USAA requesting this W9 form and none of the answers provided by USAA staff really seem to answer the question directly; in fact, some of the answers seem to make things more confusing.  I contacted USAA via phone call and was told that this is an annual process (sending out W9).  I knew darn well that wasn't a true statement and just thanked the young lady and hung up.  She obviously didn't know what she was talking about. 

Now back to my question; why am I being asked to provide my SSN via this W9 form when I've been with USAA for over 30 years and you have my SSN?  I'm not comfortable with the wishy-washy answer that I've seen on the FAQ section of the USAA web site on this topic and it's obvious that there are a great number of other USAA members that are also not comfortable with the request and/or answers from USAA. Could someone from USAA please provide a satisfactory answer?

1 REPLY

@JohnPaul1, I am sorry to hear that neither the FAQ's or our customer service agents were able to answer the questions to your satisfaction. I will forward your post for review. Once review is completed you will be contacted using the information in your profile if needed. Thank you ~ Suzy