What's the difference between youth spending and youth savings accounts?

Highlighted
moneyparent
Contributor

I've tried looking through the USAA website, but I can't figure it out: What's the difference between youth spending and youth savings accounts?

Most Helpful

@moneyparent, Yes, ATM cards are issued for Youth Savings accounts. An ATM card can only be used for ATM withdrawals. Debit cards are issued for Youth Spending accounts. Debit cards can be used for purchases, as well as ATM withdrawals. You can opt for no card if a card is not needed. ~DC

6 REPLIES

Dear @moneyparent,

I am happy to provide details about the Youth Spending account verse Youth Savings account. The spending account is a checking account. Checks and a debit card can be issued from it to help your children learn these aspects of banking. The Youth Savings account is just that, a savings account to help teach children how to save. If  you have any further questions, please let us know. We are here to help - Jesse

Where's the links to order checks for the youth checking account?

Hello @Wilki, you can order checks online or over the phone using the voice response system or with a customer service agent. Here are the instructions for ordering on usaa.com. 

From My USAA:

1. Locate the deposit account.
  2. From the I Want To dropdown, select Order Checks or Deposit Slips.
  3. Follow the prompts to order checks and/or deposit slips with envelopes.

Thank you for using Member Community for your questions.  ~ Suzy

Hi @Wilki, just checking in. Did you get the checks ordered? ~ Suzy

Hi Jesse,

That's what I would think, but the webpage for the Youth Savings account implied that it comes with an ATM card: (https://www.usaa.com/inet/wc/youth_first_start_savings_main?8).

Can you clarify?

Thanks!

@moneyparent, Yes, ATM cards are issued for Youth Savings accounts. An ATM card can only be used for ATM withdrawals. Debit cards are issued for Youth Spending accounts. Debit cards can be used for purchases, as well as ATM withdrawals. You can opt for no card if a card is not needed. ~DC