Want to open a savings account with a non-USAA member

Highlighted
zacwerd
Contributor

I'm looking into opening up a savings account with my girlfriend using USAA. However, she's of course not military so isn't a USAA member. Is there any way for us to open a savings where we both have access?

She has her own bank so doesn't need individual/personal accounts. Just a joint savings.

Tried looking for answers but only found out dated threads that weren't exactly what I was looking for.

Thanks!

Most Helpful

@zacwerd, Hello! Yes.. there is a way ;) 

The first step would be to add your girlfriend to your membership, which can be done from your profile drop down options. Select Profile & Preferences, then click the link "Add Family Member"  if the relationship options do not apply to your circumstances, give us a call so we can assist you. 

Once your girlfriend is added, this will associate the two of you together and when you select the option to apply for a joint savings account, her name will appear as an option for Joint Account Holder. 

Keep in mind, anytime you have a joint account with another person, their activity can affect your other individual accounts and vice versa. What I mean by this is, if the joint account becomes overdrawn each account holder is equally responsible. So, if the bank is owed money due to the account becoming overdrawn, the bank can exercise it's Right to Offset the owed amounts with funds available in either of the joint account holders individual accounts. Be sure to review this information in our Depository Agreement, which is located on our website (search box)

I recommend setting up Account Alerts for all of your accounts, to help you manage them and keep up to date on all account activity. Account Alerts can be sent to your phone as a text message, for alerts such as, Daily Balance, Non -Sufficient Funds, Deposits, Withdraws,etc. For the withdraw option, I recommend setting the notification amount at $1, so you'll be notified anytime any amount is removed. 

Alerts can be set up from the Account Services options, located at the bottom of each account page. 

Give a holler if I can assist with anything else. ~ Lori

5 REPLIES

@zacwerd, Hello! Yes.. there is a way ;) 

The first step would be to add your girlfriend to your membership, which can be done from your profile drop down options. Select Profile & Preferences, then click the link "Add Family Member"  if the relationship options do not apply to your circumstances, give us a call so we can assist you. 

Once your girlfriend is added, this will associate the two of you together and when you select the option to apply for a joint savings account, her name will appear as an option for Joint Account Holder. 

Keep in mind, anytime you have a joint account with another person, their activity can affect your other individual accounts and vice versa. What I mean by this is, if the joint account becomes overdrawn each account holder is equally responsible. So, if the bank is owed money due to the account becoming overdrawn, the bank can exercise it's Right to Offset the owed amounts with funds available in either of the joint account holders individual accounts. Be sure to review this information in our Depository Agreement, which is located on our website (search box)

I recommend setting up Account Alerts for all of your accounts, to help you manage them and keep up to date on all account activity. Account Alerts can be sent to your phone as a text message, for alerts such as, Daily Balance, Non -Sufficient Funds, Deposits, Withdraws,etc. For the withdraw option, I recommend setting the notification amount at $1, so you'll be notified anytime any amount is removed. 

Alerts can be set up from the Account Services options, located at the bottom of each account page. 

Give a holler if I can assist with anything else. ~ Lori

I actually have a new question. Can I do this same thing but with a checking account? Then each month we could transfer in our share of the bills and set up automatic payment with that specific checking account?

Yes zachwerd, That is a good plan ;) A checking account can be set up in the same way as described above. My same recommendations and cautions would still apply.  ~ Lori

I have a follow up question so if I add a family member to my account will they get their own card with their name on it?

@LivySH, yes you are able to order debit cards for joint account holders.-Colleen