Highlighted
Frequent Contributor

I received an e-mail message message from USAA last night asking me to log on and verify a W-9 form.  First, I've been a member for 38 years and nothing like this has occured before.  Second, the request asked me click on my accounts and electronically sign the form. Has anyone else been asked to do this and if so, please advise how to do it.  Thank you.

18 REPLIES

Hello and thank you for your concern. We certainly thank you for being a 38 year member.  USAA is proactively sending messages as appropriate to request a W-9 form be electronically signed and completed. You can E-sign the W9 on usaa.com or mobile. usaa.com. USAA requires members to update their W-9 form ensures tax reporting information is up to date. The signed W-9 also ensures your earnings from USAA are reported correctly. Thank you!

Ok, thank you for the response.  Now if you don't mind, where is this electronic form (specifically?) In plain English, how do I find the form?  Thank you again.

Hello. When you logon to usaa.com you should receive a digital detour that will prompt you to sign the required form. You should be able to complete the form via the digital detour. If you are still unable to find the form please let me know and I can offer additional support. Thank you!

I've logged on to usaa.com several times today and there has been no "digital detour" asking/requesting me to fill out a W9.  Given I received this request on Friday night and we're now attemping this action on a Saturday should we simply wait until Monday morning?  Thank you for your patience. 

Thank you so much for your follow-up and I'm sorry you were not directed to the W-9 form via the digital detour. We can further assist you via our chat channel using the following link: expired linkand please reference Conversation#xxx once you are in the chat. We are also available to assist you by phone by calling our Deposit Servicing Team at 210-531-USAA (8722), our mobile shortcut #8722 or 800-531-8722. Our business hours are Monday to Friday, 6 a.m. to 9 p.m. CT and Saturday, 7 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. CT. Thank you and look forward to assisting you!

@Master Chief, I am very sorry for any confusion in regards to the W-9 request. This is a form that the IRS requires to be periodically updated to make sure there has not been any changes in the possibly of you owing back up withholding to the IRS. If you open your account summary you should see the option to electronically sign this W-9. I hope this helps clear up any questions. -Colleen

Come clean USAA.  You've had my tax-id for years.  You got it when I signed up for an account with you.  You got it when I applied for the credit card I have with you.  You report my interest every year to the IRS.  You got it with every auto loan I received from you.  You got it when I had a mortgage with you.  You have it from the auto insurance policies I have with you. Your automated system asks for my account ID or SSN evertime I call so it is clearly on file in your systems. 

What is the REAL reason for this request?  And yes, I am asking for you to go off script and answer the question. 

I have had USAA send me several request for the W-9. I've signed 5 and have sent them back and yet they continue to send the form to me. I have called and the reps have no clue! Very frustrating!!!

@Nena137, I am sorry this is a cause of frustration. I do see we have received a form from you and it is currently being reviewed. Once review of the document is completed, the notifications will stop. Please let us know if they do not. Thank you . ~ Suzy