Using Zelle: Phone and Tablet Only, or also Computer?

Rose Knows
Occasional Contributor

Can you or can you not transfer funds from your computer?

Yesterday I "bit the bullet" and registered with Zelle so as to receive funds from another USAA member. I don't recall, but I think I registered by phone. The funds promptly arrived, so clearly registration was successful.

Today I want to send funds back to that same member.

I tried doing this at my computer.

1. Logged on to USAA.

2. Hunted (and hunted) for instructions.

3. Eventually saw instructions to go to the mobile site.

4. Hunted (and hunted) for the mobile site link. Found it in wee text "Switch to mobile site" at the bottom of the screen under the "Member Community" section of the page.

5. Clicked on "Switch to mobile site" and went to https://mobile.usaa.com/

6. Found only options to transfer funds within my own accounts. No options whatsoever to transfer funds to another member.

So I phoned in for help and spoke with a very nice rep (good for her). She asserted that Zelle can only be used to transfer funds with phones and tablets.

Why, in the name of all that's holy, would you be limited to handheld devices when wanting to transfer funds, and especially when it appears you can register for Zelle at your computer?

If I misunderstand and I can transfer funds from my computer, then how in the devil is it done?

Do you have to register your computer, and your phone, and your tablet--i.e., any and all devices you want to use for transfer?

14 REPLIES

Rose, I apologize for the confusion. Zelle is only available by phone or tablet. However, you can transfer to another USAA member by calling, or by adding the account to your funds transfer list on USAA.com. You can do so by selecting My Tools > Add an Account > Get Started > and follow the prompts from there. I hope this helps. - Janay

Janay, I appreciate the speedy reply and am disappointed. To transfer via the means you suggest, you now have to know the other person's account number (versus, as I recall, in the good old days of only needing their phone or email). 

For a company that appears to want to be (b)leading edge, in this case, USAA looks less than.

And instead of having reps constantly apologizing for the confusion they had no hand in creating, why not clarify the instructions?

I can see it now. I'm at my 'puter.

I click "Switch to mobile app."

A screen popus up: "Haha. Just kidding. No access to mobile or mobile-type apps here. Ya gotta do it by phone or tablet."

Geez. This is web user experience 101. Put useful and honest links on web pages.

My dad is having the same issues.  He is NOT mobile/tablet knowledgable and the option to register for Zelle not available via computer is absolutely redonkulous.  I was able to set up Zelle to receive and send money on my Wells Fargo account from a computer with no issues.  What's the deal with USAA?  Not everyone still uses mobile apps - hence my 66 old dad I was trying to simply send money too with just an email address.  SMH - What a PAIN!  

PeachieJ, I can understand the frustration in this process; however the Zelle feature can only be used via our mobile app at this time. I have taken the feedback you have provided and will share it with out website development teams.  Please note, due to the volume of feedback received from members we are unable to notify each member individually if an idea or comment results in a direct change; however your concerns and feedback have been shared with the website development teams for consideration in future website updates. ~Michelle 

Please implement Zelle functionality on Desktop website, just like other banks that participate in Zelle, such as Chase, TDBank, Citi, etc.

Also, it would be nice if Zelle transfer limits would be increased.

@ExGingi, We are always looking for ways to improve for our members. I appreciate you reaching out and providing your feedback on Zelle.  Please let us know if there is ever anything we can help with in the future. - Janay

wrote:

My dad is having the same issues.  He is NOT mobile/tablet knowledgable and the option to register for Zelle not available via computer is absolutely redonkulous.  I was able to set up Zelle to receive and send money on my Wells Fargo account from a computer with no issues.  What's the deal with USAA?  Not everyone still uses mobile apps - hence my 66 old dad I was trying to simply send money too with just an email address.  SMH - What a PAIN!  

In this situation, it might work best for him to add your Wells Fargo Account to the "Transfer" list.  You just need the account number and routing number.  It works with outside banks, too.  I did it with my landlord, who uses Chase.  Easiest way I've found to do it is go to your accounts, click the drop-down and "Transfer Funds".  Then, there will be an option on the right to add an account.  It does take about 3 business days after requesting the account to be added for it to be available.  I think the first transfer may also take that long, but after that they transfer pretty quickly (definitely within the same day).

Thank you for these tips @DragonKing20. This is a great feature in order to transfer to and from external accounts. Please bear in mind however funds transfer from an external account can take 3-5 business days. Prior to transfer there would be notice on funds availability. I hope this is helpful, thank you. -Emily

This is sooo dumb, I lost my mobile, and was asked to send money to a family member in a pinch..  I don't have a mobile to do this, so the service is not available..  This is absolutely nuts, I  registered and sent money with my phone previously, but I have lost a phone and wanted to do a transfer to a family member in need..  But I can't until I go and get a new phone.. Seriously ??? SO ANGRY with this !