Anti USAA
Contributor
I've been with Usaa for 7 years. When I first joined, I was estatic. I loved the company, the products and most of all their customer service. A couple of months ago I filed a fraud claim against a company for withdrawing $1400.00 from my account without my permission. Yes....$1400.00, not $14.00. USAA gave me a provisional credit that day. The fraud claim took a couple of months and I received an email from USAA that they decided in favor of the company since the company provided them with documentation. The documentation that the company provided did not have my signature on it but had a typed signature where they claimed that I sign. USAA never contacted me to let me know that they even received any documentation. Anyway, USAA withdrew the funds from my account and now my account is overdrawn. After speaking with at least 15 different people, most were either rude to me, weren't knowledgeable or didn't care about the financial impact that this withdrawal would have on my family. I was finally told that it should have filed as a dispute and not a fraud case. I can't get the provisional credit until the case has been reviewed in 2-5 businesses days. I have no idea how I'm going to make it. I have three children with little food in my house and not enough gas to make it to and from work. When I explained this to the representative, which was very nice, she suggested a personal loan or to contact United Way. I'm so disappointed with USAA. My other bank would have given a provisional credit right away. I think that it's time to end our banking relationship as well as the other products that I have with the company. This entire experience has given me a completely different perspective on the company. Maybe it's just the fraud department that has horrible customer service but I'm devastated with this entire experience and sad that a company that I have referred so many of my military friends to has been such a disappointment when I really needed them.

20 REPLIES

Anti USAA, we can understand why you feel upset. When fraud happens, it is never fun. We will have a expert look into this issue and conduct a follow up with you.  ~Jen

Contact the Fed agency: Consumer Financial Protection Bureau. File complaint online and ask them to review USAA policy.
They screwed me too it amazes me that when you are struggling is when they take advantage of you

Sorry to hear about your situation. I hope things work out for you. The more I see complaints/concerns (here and other websites)--the more I'm becoming convinced that it might be the right time to move on to another financial institution for my financial needs and SECURITY--even if I've been a member for 30+yrs. Have already moved several CDs, IRAs, savings, and a checking acct. Went from doing 100% of my business with them to about 5%. Blocked my CC, because it seems customers are having problems with that product as well. Sad indeed. :-(

I too just had Fraud from a Company in my account in the amount of $1400 on the 1st. My husband and I are on a fixed income due to his disability, so we only get laid once a month and one amount. So needless to say with 4 kids and loads of bills it has screwed us to have this much gone. Screwed in the way that now I can't buy food, pay my power bill(that I am on a sensitive payment plan to avoid shut off for), my car payment, car insurance, gas for the month, and internet bill. I was advised to open it up as a normal dispute instead of a fraud dispute being as I have done business with the company recently(though the ach payments they were supposed to take were in the amount of 147....not the full 1400 loan balance) It is going on 7 days now and no one has even looked at it. I have called more than once and have been told they would look at it with high priority due to the amount it was and this exact story I told. I am disappointed because I got told on Friday(2nd) that it would get looked at on Saturday( the 3rd) as it was notated again that day as priority. I feel I am nmbeing lied to just to appease me because when I called on Monday, nothing had halpened and the rep had no idea what I was speaking about and even said well it will take at least 10-14 just to look at, then 2-3 after that to issue a credit while the dispute is investigated. I feel as ai have had disputes in the past that I understand full well the dispute process. But with this large amount and a family counting on it to live for the rest of the month.....it should be as they say(priority) and looked into on a first case basis. I have had odd happenings(with the way transactions are pending and posted as well as daily amounts that differ greatly days later with no math to support as to why) and last year I noticed dwindling customer service that was positive. This latest dispute is more of a reason not to trust our money with this bank. I hope they do get to it. Because I vaguely remember similar issues with Chase bank the last few years before we had to close it and then they were investigated. USAA had really gone downhill the last year and a half. Recently the customer service has been kind over the phone....they obviously stretch the truth or outright lie to you to appease you and get you off the phone. Hopefully they get to this dispute in the fastest amount of time possible so I don't get my power shut off and lose my car and insurance over it. Luckily I have a church who can provide food towards the end of the month or else it would be much bleaker for my family of 6 right now.
I too just had Fraud from a Company in my account in the amount of $1400 on the 1st. My husband and I are on a fixed income due to his disability, so we only get paid once a month and one amount. So needless to say with 4 kids and loads of bills it has screwed us to have this much gone. Screwed in the way that now I can't buy food, pay my power bill(that I am on a sensitive payment plan to avoid shut off for), my car payment, car insurance, gas for the month, and internet bill. I was advised to open it up as a normal dispute instead of a fraud dispute being as I have done business with the company recently(though the ach payments they were supposed to take were in the amount of 147....not the full 1400 loan balance) It is going on 7 days now and no one has even looked at it. I have called more than once and have been told they would look at it with high priority due to the amount it was and this exact story I told. I am disappointed because I got told on Friday(2nd) that it would get looked at on Saturday( the 3rd) as it was notated again that day as priority. I feel I am nmbeing lied to just to appease me because when I called on Monday, nothing had halpened and the rep had no idea what I was speaking about and even said well it will take at least 10-14 just to look at, then 2-3 after that to issue a credit while the dispute is investigated. I feel as I have had disputes in the past that I understand full well the dispute process. But with this large amount and a family counting on it to live for the rest of the month.....it should be as they say(priority) and looked into on a first case basis. I have had odd happenings(with the way transactions are pending and posted as well as daily amounts that differ greatly days later with no math to support as to why) and last year I noticed dwindling customer service that was positive. This latest dispute is more of a reason not to trust our money with this bank. I hope they do get to it. Because I vaguely remember similar issues with Chase bank the last few years before we had to close it and then they were investigated. USAA had really gone downhill the last year and a half. Recently the customer service has been kind over the phone....they obviously stretch the truth or outright lie to you to appease you and get you off the phone. Hopefully they get to this dispute in the fastest amount of time possible so I don't get my power shut off and lose my car and insurance over it. Luckily I have a church who can provide food towards the end of the month or else it would be much bleaker for my family of 6 right now. It should never be this easy for companies to straight up steal large amounts from your bank account and you be punished for it. All large transactions should be verified with the customer as other banks do.

@Joenlindsay, Please accept my apology for the unsatisfactory service you received in your recent dealings with USAA. Being sensitive and responsive to our members, as well as conducting business in a professional manner is always our goal, and I regret this is not what you encountered. I have forwarded your information to a subject matter expert. Once reviewed we will be in contact with you. Thanks. -Colleen

I too have had a company take money from my account without my consent. It was a hotel I stayed in over 6 months ago, and they have taken money out again. I have opened 2 disputes with USAA, and have no won either of them now, which is ridiculous. I will also be cancelling my debit card, credit card, and auto insuracne since customers are no where near their #1 priority. 

Hello @ns626, I would like to review this with you. Can you please provide via PM details on the disputes to see what is going on? I do wish to better your experience with us.