SFCityGran
Occasional Contributor

I am a member of 26 years standing, for insurance.  About two weeks ago I decided to switch from Bank of America, where I have banked for over 45 years, to USAA Bank. My account is open and funded. I cannot get Web Bill Pay going. There is remarkably little information. I’ve alredy chosen the checking account I wish to use (I have two)  but I am never offered an option to add a payee.  I’ve just about emptied my BofA account and it’s is scheduled to be closed in the next day or two.  

I tried using the Changing Bank tool but only one of the payees in my online bill pay with BofA carried over (or appeared to).  When I called USAA for help I spent an hour on the phone with tech support who actually denied there was any such Changing Bank tool, and that while it might be a nice feature they didn’t have it and essentially called me confused or delusional.

I need to set up Web Bill Pay here.  It seems that I can’t get any help over the phone over a weekend.

Have I made a terrible mistake? Can anyone help?

18 REPLIES

@SFCityGran, I'm happy to hear that you have switched over to USAA banking. I'm sorry to hear about your Web BillPay experience and I apologize for any of the confusion. To set up a new payee, when logged in, please select "My Tools" at the top of your screen. From there, you will select "Pay Bills". Once you are on the Pay Bills page, on the right side of the screen you will see, "Account Services" the third option down will say "Add New Bill". Once selected, this will walk you through the process of adding the new payee. I hope this is helpful, and please do not hesitate to reach out if you have any additional questions. ~ Samantha

wrote:

, I'm happy to hear that you have switched over to USAA banking. I'm sorry to hear about your Web BillPay experience and I apologize for any of the confusion. To set up a new payee, when logged in, please select "My Tools" at the top of your screen. From there, you will select "Pay Bills". Once you are on the Pay Bills page, on the right side of the screen you will see, "Account Services" the third option down will say "Add New Bill". Once selected, this will walk you through the process of adding the new payee. I hope this is helpful, and please do not hesitate to reach out if you have any additional questions. ~ Samantha

Unfortunately I’ve already tried that, NOW THREE TIMES.  It takes me to a screen for Pay Bills Enollment  that asks me to select the account from which to pay the bills and for withdrawing fees.  As I mentioned I have opened two checking accounts.  I’ve checked the same account under each category.  At the bottom of the page is a section called Deactivate but nothing is selected (as I don’t want to deactivate).  There is a Cancel and a Continue button at the bottom.  When I click on Continue I’m taken to a page saying Verifiction that lists the account I chose on the previous page with a Continue button at the bottom.  That takes me, now for the third time, to a Confirmtion page  that says USAA Pay Bills Enrollment and 

Confirmation

Prompt Changes to your existing Pay Bills service will be effective within 24 hours.

only nothing changes within 24 hours.  Each time I try to add a bill payee it takes me back to this same merry go round, even though nothing was changed from my previous choice!

1. Is there a difference between Pay Bills and Web Pay Bills (or whatever you call your online bill pay service)? I never ever had any trouble setting up my online bill Pay with BofA.  And they have 24/7 phone support which you seem not to. 

I need to set this up is up so I can receive bills from my utility companies, credit cards and so on so I can PAY them.

2. And have you ever seen the Changing Banks tool on this website? Because I did, used it, and was told that my local utility company’s account WAS moved over but for the life of me I can’t find it.

Without having a local office to go into for help I feel stranded here. I am a very adept and capable user of technology and have had all my bills sent electronically to my bank for many years.  Why is this so very hard? Your tech support were not even able to get fingerprint log on enabled on my iPhone, something I’ve tried in vain for months to accomplish.  It was less of a concern when you only had my insurance policies.  It is of real concern now that I’m (supposedly) banking with you. 

I am so frustrated. Can you help???

PS Why can’t o see my original post to refer to when replying? I can’t figure that out either...

thank you-

And just to be clear, I cannot add any bill payee on my iPhone or my iPad using your app either. I am completely stymied. The only bill that I can pay is yours and that is the only one that is set up to be paid next week. If I can’t get this straightened out by noon on Monday Pacific time I’m going to have to go to a different bank and close these accounts. My daughter and her husband are very happy with your bank but so far I have been very disappointed. I’m hoping that will change but I have little confidence of it at this stage. Thank you for any help you can offer. 

Oh no @SFCityGran, I do regret to hear of this experience. On USAA.com go to My tools>Pay Bills>Add new Bill. From here you will be asked to set up which accounts you wish bills to be paid from then it will request the payee information. I hope this is helpful, if the problem persist please contact our website support team at 877-632-3002 and when prompted say 'technical support'. Thank you.

I’m afraid that you clearly do not understand what I’ve tried to say here.  I have done precisely what you’ve told me to do on several occasions and it simply does not work.  After my 90 min call on Friday where none of my issues were resolved  I have little faith that I can get this major issue resolved in time to pay my upcoming bills.  It is simply too cumbersome and inefficient. And based on other postings I see here my problem is hardly unique. I absolutely have to trust my bank to have my back and clearly it doesn’t. While I value the insurance coverage I’ve had and will continue to have, for me this switch to this bank was a big mistake. I will be making other arrangements and emptying and closing these new accounts. I have no more time or time energy to have to work so hard to make this right.  How very disappointing, USAA FSB.

SFCityGran - I understand your frustration and I am sorry to hear you are still having difficulty. Know that our troubleshooters are available 24/7 to assist you. Regrettably, we cannot assist with technical issues via our community site. - Jason

OMG!! There is another out there that has my SAME frustration! I am in the exact same position, have called USAA 5 times now, figuring approx. 6 hours on the phone to try get this fixed, and still no resolution!! What is going on? I just had to respond, because I am in the exact position with no hope of resolution!!! My husband keeps telling me to give up, but for some reason I have hoped USAA would come through! I was figuring another febile attempt tomorrow, but you may convince me to reconsider! I CANNOT ACCESS ONLINE BILL PAY WITH MY NEWLY OPENED CHECKING ACCOUNT!!! HELP!!!

Hello @Mottsie. I have reviewed your profile and verified that you are good to go with your bill payment.  When first establishing bill payments, you will need to follow the steps to setup your USAA account for paying bills. After, to the column on your right, there is an option to "add a new bill."  I regret any inconvenience you have encountered previously. Thank you.

Same thing for me. Switched from BofA where their payment system was streamlined and easy. I eventually got mine to work. Went to:

Pay Bills > Setup payment for non-usaa accounts (or something like that) > there were terms and conditions I had to accept > had to logout then log back in because the Add New Bill option wasn't showing even if I refreshed the page.

So logged out/back in and went to:

Pay Bills > Add New Bill (finally showed up) > added the company name, account etc.

I had to log out and log back in again after adding because it did not show up right away even if I refreshed. 

After that though, I am good to add all my bills. I just wish the payments would post faster like BofAs did.