Community Manager
Community Manager

Shelby-Rayborn-News-Center-double-logo (2).pngUSAA is assessing its advertising placement rules after learning our commercials were airing on opinion-based television news programs, which is inconsistent with a policy in place since 2011.

Last week, USAA ads were removed from several programs, including ”Hannity” on Fox News, “The Rachel Maddow Show” and “Hardball with Chris Matthews” on MSNBC, and “The Lead with Jake Tapper” on CNN.

We heard from our members and know the decision to stop advertising on these shows created confusion and concern among those who believe USAA was caving to pressure or abandoning someone who is a strong supporter of the military. This isn’t the case. The decision was based on our advertising policy and not the result of outside pressure or related to anything done or said on these programs.

While we review our advertising policy, all previously removed USAA ads on programs representing a variety of perspectives will be reinstated later this week. We understand that the lines between news and commentary are increasingly blurred. As such, the review of our policy will seek to determine how best to apply it in the current media environment.

USAA recognizes the value of these TV programs and believes in free speech. Our advertising policy seeks to avoid any suggestion of bias or support for one set of views over another and will continue to honor diversity and inclusion of perspectives.

Since 1922, USAA has proudly served the military and their families, and our ranks are heavy with veterans and military spouses. All of our employees are unwavering in their fulfillment of USAA’s mission in our members’ times of need – from automobile accidents to catastrophic weather losses; providing loans at no interest when those serving don’t get paid; and through donations to our community and non-profit organizations dedicated to military family resiliency.

Tags (2)

117 REPLIES

I am so sorry USAA is back to advertising on opinionated shows . I am a 49 year member and a GOPer except for this guy that has stolen our party
Pls do not support racists, sexists and novices for POTUS it is too scary
Whaa! The fact you're a dinosaur from the dark ages might have something to do with your skewed good sense. When USAA gives in to whiners like you, who are distraught the election didn't go your way, they are caving to the very thing you, me and those before us have fought for, FREEDOM. FREEDOM from being bullied by you as to where they advertise. They are a business and advertise to customers from all walks of life, not you. Get over yourself. You aren't owed anything because you can't handle President Trump, the great President of our Great Country. Go find your safe room and cry over it. If you don't like USAA's freedom to advertise where they see fit, move your $200 someplace else, you won't be missed.

You advertise where your potential customers can be reached. I get it. We all get it. No bias or support is inferred. The moment you withdraw advertising, you exhibit the very bias you you say you want to avoid. Stop trying to be politically correct and stick to business. The single thing for which I hold you accountable are reasonable rates for a good product. Fail in this regard and you're fired.  

Sadly, you have lost the trust of many of your customers. This is a very weak response. Maybe you should consider that many in the military are conservative, as is Sean Hannity. The same cannot be said of the other so called reporters on MSNBC or CNN who have worked ceaselessly to undermine our POTUS.
Get your facts straight! Those networks havent caved in to potus deplorable behavior rather they report unbiased facts as does the NYTIMES and Washington Post.
Ick, if you believe that the lamestream media reports facts, I got some ocean front property in Arizona to sell you and I bet you'd buy it because your easily blinded to the obvious or a liberal
Thank you for reconsidering your policy and reestablishing your advertising with Sean Hannity.

Despite your explanation, the timing smacks of left-leaning policies. I was seriously considering changing services to a different company since USAA seemed to be riding the tide of political leaning businesses these days instead of sticking to their core values.

I'm glad you made a 'course correction'.
Left leaning!!! HA!

How about supporting news media that reports truth over potus fiction.
I am a 40 year plus member. I find your response a cop out. If this has been your policy since 2011 why is it just being enforced now. Seems you are caveing in to pressure from somehere. Let's support the office of President of the USA