US ACH transfers will fail as of April 1, 2019. Will USAA upgrade before that date?

moctezuma1
Contributor

I currently have established a monthly automatic US ACH transfer from USAA bank to Bangkok Bank’s New York branch. Effective April 1, 2019, Bangkok Bank will no longer accept US ACH transfers, and will require all transfers to be in the “International ACH Transaction” (IAT) format, in accordance with new rules imposed by NACHA (Electronic Payments Association).

In accordance with the new rules, will USAA implement the required IAT transfer protocol for online transfer requests by April 1, 2019?

10 REPLIES

Hello and thank you so much for your inquiry. USAA is already in compliance to process International ACH Transactions (IAT) as it relates to OFAC (Office of Foreign Assets Control) related concerns. Thank you!

Thank you so much for your reply.  Does your reply mean that my current automatic transfers are in IAT format, and I do not have to specifically request that format when I establish a transfer request?

Thank you for your follow-up inquiry. To ensure we can set proper expectations for your inquiry we will need to speak with you. At your earliest convenience please contact us at 210-531-USAA (8722), our mobile shortcut #8722 or 800-531-8722. Our business hours are Monday through Friday 5:00am-12:00 am CT and Saturday 6:00am - 10:00pm CT, or Sunday 8 a.m. - 6 p.m. CT. We look forward to speaking with you!

I too asked the same question. I live in Thailand and preparing for the 1 April 2019 deadline.  Customer support didn't have any information.  I'll call USAA in a couple months to make sure things are set up.  

This recent new Bangkok Bank requirement also affects me. I think many others as well. Everyone's question is the same: "Will USAA bank use the IAT protocol for ACH transfers to Bangkok Bank New York" or for that matter to any non-USA bank? Your previous response seems to be that something will be worked out. That is a vague response but (to be fair) it's probably a decision that had not been made by management yet. Why would calling you be necessary unless your response is unequivocally, "YES".

Thanks in advance.

When someone calls USAA about this can they post the results of the call here? TIA.

Icalled USAA on 7 Dec 18.  I described the IAT ACH problem and was transfered to the ACH department.  I described the problem again and was put on hold then disconnected.  I immediately called again and the USAA representative said that I would have to use an international wire transfer if I wanted to transfer funds overseas.  So it appears that the cost saving ACH transfer to Bangkok Bank, NY is officially dead as of 1 April 2018 if not earlier.

Thank you for sharing your concerns with us today @Decroded. I apologize if there was any confusion. To send funds overseas you would need to process an international wire transfer. To accomplish this please call us at 800-531-8722 to speak with a representative.  I hope this provides more detail, please let us know if anything else is needed. -Emily

Dear Emily of USAA,

There is no confusion.  Currently there are no banks or credit unions that offer IAT type ACH transfers.  I do not forsee any US Banks offering this service in the future.  US Banks make much more money charging customers at international wire transfer rates.  Simple economics.

Sincerely,

Decroded Overseas