David Go
Contributor

I received a letter in the mail from "USAA" today telling me to call 866-998-1301 to give them personal information required by the Patriot Act. It looked real but sounded like a scam. I called USAA, they said they had never heard of that number and it was not a USAA number. I was wondering, why can't USAA do more than just passively tell people it's not them? This is a pretty long-running scam apparently.

I looked it up here and a lot of people are being scammed by the scumbags using that number.

Here's the letter, with my personal information removed. It looks almost exactly like official correspondence from USAA. It even came with one of those return envelopes you get with everything USAA sends you.

Screen Shot 2019-08-22 at 2.55.07 PM.png

3 REPLIES

@David Go, I'd like to apologize for the confusion. The letter that you have provided in this post is a legitimate letter from USAA. The phone number provided in the letter, 1-866-998-1301, is for a specialized team at USAA. You can reach them Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. until 6:00 p.m. CT. ~DC

It isn't a scam, most probably.  Use a number for USAA that you use regularly if you doubt that other number. 

In February USAA signed a consent decree with the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency (the federal bank regulator) regarding some deficiencies.  They had deficiencies in compliance, anti-money laundering, internal controls and IT. 

They have a short period to bring the bank up to standards, and they will have to ask many members a number of questions to make sure they're in compliance with 'know your customer' KYC and anti-money laundering, AML rules and laws.   I've recieved two online questionnaires, one to validate information, the other about use of my bank accounts with foreign transactions - even if I'll use my credit card overseas. 

These are legitimate questions for any bank to ask, however USAA could have been much more forthcoming about why they were asking, and they should have informed all their front line staff about the letters and online questions. 

You can read the consent decree from the OCC here 

*Message edited in compliance with USAA guidelines*

What guidelines prohibit linking to the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency?  

Are you trying to hide the Consent Decree?